By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

I thought skype was free

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Tourist
Downloaded the app on my ipad. When i try to make a call, it tells me Ihave to purchase credits. Its not free?
Message 1 of 8 (18,830 Views)
7 Replies
Honorary Adventurer

It is free if you call skype to skype.  You need credit or a subscription if calling landlines or mobiles.

If you found a post useful, please give Kudos. If it helped to fix your issue, mark it as a solution to help others.
Thank You!
Message 2 of 8 (18,801 Views)
Super Adventurer

Samlam wrote:
Downloaded the app on my ipad. When i try to make a call, it tells me Ihave to purchase credits. Its not free?

some Skype services such as Skype-to-Skype calls, conference calls, chat and group chat, 1-on-1 video calls are indeed free of charge. However, some services such as Skype-to-mobile/landline number, group video calls, voicemail, SMS, online number, etc requires credits or subscriptions.

The support/user guide section offers a mode detailed descriptions - https://support.skype.com/en/

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!

ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES

Message 3 of 8 (18,770 Views)
Novel Tourist

I am trying to skype to skype and it says I need to pay?  I thought this was free?

Message 4 of 8 (18,573 Views)
Honorary Adventurer

Are you going through your skype app?  Have you accepted the person so you can place him in your contact list?  Let's say I want to call you on skype I have to first send you a message  for you to accept me as a skype contact. If you accept me I can call you for free as you are in my contact list or you can call me. Have you done this? I have never been charged for a skype to skype call, and I use it daily.

If you found a post useful, please give Kudos. If it helped to fix your issue, mark it as a solution to help others.
Thank You!
Message 5 of 8 (18,567 Views)
Routine Adventurer
Agreed. I to make skype to skype calls, most of the time not in my contacts list because of what I do and I'm still not charged. confused. Can you provide a screen shot of what you are seeing so that we may assist further?
Message 6 of 8 (18,539 Views)
Novel Adventurer

i know the other person has skype how do i call them not on their mobile, but from my skype to theirs

Message 7 of 8 (18,094 Views)
Novel Tourist

Solution :happy:

Doretta
Message 8 of 8 (15,960 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 77 kudos
  • 7 in conversation