By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Do I need BOTH Skype and Skype WIFI apps for my iphone?

SOLVED
Go to Solution
This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Adventurer

I have Skype app on my iphone.  Will it automatically use my WIFI rather than my data when I am connected to WIFI?

Do I have to have both Skype and Skype WIFI and switch between them when I am/am not in a WIFI area?

Telling me it works with Skype doesn't tell me how to make sure it doesn't use my data. 

Message 1 of 14 (49,513 Views)
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Experienced Adventurer
Solution
Accepted by Claudius (Community Manager)
‎28-08-2015 11:00

Hi,

I realize it can be a little confusing but the two apps are for completely different purposes.

The Skype App is for Skyping as most people know it. Whether the data goes over 3G or WiFi is up to your phone settings.

The Skype WiFi App is a special app that makes it possible for you to use your Skype Credit (if you have any) to pay for WiFi access in hotels/airports etc, where the WiFi is not free. You can then use the Skype WiFi App to pay for this access instead of a credit card or similar.

If you want to Skype, you still need to use the normal iPhone App.

Good luck...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14 (52,903 Views)
13 Replies
Experienced Adventurer
Solution
Accepted by Claudius (Community Manager)
‎28-08-2015 11:00

Hi,

I realize it can be a little confusing but the two apps are for completely different purposes.

The Skype App is for Skyping as most people know it. Whether the data goes over 3G or WiFi is up to your phone settings.

The Skype WiFi App is a special app that makes it possible for you to use your Skype Credit (if you have any) to pay for WiFi access in hotels/airports etc, where the WiFi is not free. You can then use the Skype WiFi App to pay for this access instead of a credit card or similar.

If you want to Skype, you still need to use the normal iPhone App.

Good luck...

Message 2 of 14 (52,904 Views)
Novel Tourist

I hate to tell you but this is TERRIBLY POORLY EXPLAINED in both Skype Wifi and Skype App.  how about a little plain english, please, for these...

THANKS

Message 3 of 14 (38,240 Views)
Novel Tourist

nicko13 wrote:

I hate to tell you but this is TERRIBLY POORLY EXPLAINED in both Skype Wifi and Skype App.  how about a little plain english, please, for these...

THANKS

I agree!! Thanks for posting this question

Message 4 of 14 (36,069 Views)
Novel Tourist
I think it was explained perfectly i fully understand Skype and Skype wifi
Message 5 of 14 (35,746 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Paying for Skype with wifi app was a good idea. Its time has passed. Most hot spots are free.

Message 6 of 14 (35,651 Views)
Novel Tourist

If the wifi in a hotel is not free, how is Skype permitted to access it without prompting me for a day pass?

Message 7 of 14 (34,452 Views)
Novel Tourist
So, if I buy a subscription to call the Netherlands , I can call using my wi-fi in my home instead of my data??
My son says I can't because I have an iPhone and Apple won't allow it.
Message 8 of 14 (34,407 Views)
Novel Tourist

I have to Agree with the prior Agreement that the poster is 100% correct, is TERRIBLY poorly explained, not intuitive and has always been a what the heck is that all about until I read the posters explanation.

Message 9 of 14 (28,547 Views)
Novel Adventurer

I have been using skype on different iPhones for years over wifi, don't use data. Turn off cellular and 3g in general settings and wifi on, anywhere and anytime its available. Your son probably thinks he knows more because you know less.

Message 10 of 14 (22,731 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 32 kudos
  • 14 in conversation