If anything in Skype itself was causing the problem it would be in its local configuration. Have you tried a Skype reset?
I found the solution (at least for my computer): check your hosts file!
I used a tutorial to stop Windows 10 from sending user data to Microsoft. So I used a program called DisableWinTracking which modifies your hosts file to block all Microsoft sites. Since Skype is a part of Microsoft it got blocked as well.
You can find your hosts-file here:
Just open it with Editor and see if you find any lines containing "skype", "hotmail" or "messenger.live". I had these 5x lines in it:
I deleted those 5x lines, restarted my computer (that's important) and Skype is working fine again, including Skype Home.
In Skype open Tools -> Options -> Notification settings. Make sure that the checkbox for "Enable Skype for Windows desktop notifications" is selected.
It seems that the latest Skype versions don't work with AMD Radeon R7 200 Series graphic card.
Try to uninstall the currently installed version and install the 126.96.36.199 version using the download links provided here:
Make sure to disable automatic updates:
Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Automatic updates ->Turn off automatic updates
I don't know why you are getting this .105 version when downloading from this link. I have just tried to do the same download and the version of the installer was 188.8.131.52. Perhaps some of the download servers are not yet updated.
If you want to be sure to get the .106 version, then you can make use of this installer.
However, if the .104 version works well for you, then you should stay on this version, because the .106 update has still several bugs, which might be first fixed in the next release.
Personally, I'm still using the 184.108.40.206 version, which is free of any of the bugs that well introduced with the 7.17 release.
I was able to test by explicitly unchecking birthday notifications (leaving notifications in general enabled), they did not come in. So the workaround for the time being may be to selectively uncheck the notifications you don't want. So unchecking them all would probably prove to be the effective equivalent. I'm guessing the single disable/enable doesn't verify or toggle all the settings as it should.