By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

my error message says problem with playback device - what does this mean?

Novel Tourist

31 Replies
Former Ambassador

It means Skype has a problem with the device that's selected in Tools > Options > Audio Settings > Speakers.

Go to that setting, pull down the arrow next to the Speakers box, and try selecting any other devices available there.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
Casual Tourist
Re: my error message says problemwith playback device - we selected Tools - Options - Audio Settings - Speakers and tried selecting another device but we are still getting the same error
Former Ambassador

What devices are showing when you click on the pull down arrow in the Speakers box?

What version of Skype are you running?  Click on Help > About Skype for the specific version number.

Novel Tourist
Version: 5.9.0.114

- Speakers / Headphones (SigmaTel High Definition A...
- Digital Output Device (SPDIF Out) (SigmaTel High D...
Former Ambassador

I would expect the proper choice there would be the top one, "Speaker/Headphones."   Do you get the playback device error when selecting that one?

Novel Tourist

yes mine does.

Novel Tourist
im having the same problem and im using 6.0.0.126
Community Ambassador

nonnakendra wrote:
im having the same problem and im using 6.0.0.126

What device do you see selected for Speakers in Tools -> Options -> Audio settings? Is there more than one option available in the selection box? Can you hear any sound when you press the test button next to this selection box?

Novel Tourist

i dont hear anything with mine

Discussion Stats