By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

initiaisation error 0xc000001d

SOLVED
Go to solution
Novel Adventurer

Hi everyone,

I'm using skype to keep in touch with my grandmother and her skype recently stopped working. She used skype 6.2 without any problems and did not update for months if not years (new skype updates nowadays seem to do nothing to improve my experience and usually do the opposite). Sadly, recently skype decided that all must be updated and my grandmother suddenly got initialisation error 0xc000001d. I'd show the screenshot but the app is in Polish language.

Here is system spec:

It's in polish, but you can guess what line is talking about. Nevertheless, most important points are:

-Windows XP SP3,

-Processor AMD semptron 2500+ (1,8 ghz)

-1,5 giga ram,

-DirectX 9.0c

Other things not included in screenshot:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 x86

Internet Explorer v8 (updated exclusively for skype)

According to https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10328/what-do-i-need-to-start-using-skype - my grandmother's computer has everything it needs to run skype, yet I get the initialisation error every time I try to start it up.

Can anyone help? If not, can anyone give me the link to skype support?

Flag for a Moderator
Message 1 of 4
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Community Ambassador

Unfortunately it appears you have an AMD Sempron Socket A processor (2004).  The Athlon Sempron Socket A is not a fully Pentium 4 compatible processor supporting SSE2 (2001).  AMD did not start supporting SSE2 until their next processors series, the Athlon 64 (2003+).  Due to this, you will not be able to run any supported release of Skype as any versions capable of running on that processor have been retired.  You might be able to use Skype to IM people via Skype for web (https://web.skype.com).  Anything else would not be an option.

Since Skype 6.2 (Feb, 2013), video support was lost.

Since Skype 7.6 (Jun, 2015), application support was lost, producing the crash you are receiving.

Any versions below Skype 7.17 (Dec, 2015) are retired.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 2 of 4
Community Ambassador

It was never made a part of the minimum requirements possibly due to the fact that most 1 GHz processors produced since Skype was founded (2003) until today all have that instruction set (the past 13-16 years).  The only exception being AMD's slot/socket A/563 produced between 2001 - 2004.  In 2013, they did release a Skype FAQ about no longer supporting these older processors ( https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12252/why-can-t-i-make-video-calls-on-the-latest-version-of-skype... ).  You may be able to use Skype for Web for IM'ing.  The plug-in was designed for use with Windows 7 and above and has the same SSE2 requirement which will probably cause the plug-in to fail without it.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 4 of 4
3 Replies
Community Ambassador

Unfortunately it appears you have an AMD Sempron Socket A processor (2004).  The Athlon Sempron Socket A is not a fully Pentium 4 compatible processor supporting SSE2 (2001).  AMD did not start supporting SSE2 until their next processors series, the Athlon 64 (2003+).  Due to this, you will not be able to run any supported release of Skype as any versions capable of running on that processor have been retired.  You might be able to use Skype to IM people via Skype for web (https://web.skype.com).  Anything else would not be an option.

Since Skype 6.2 (Feb, 2013), video support was lost.

Since Skype 7.6 (Jun, 2015), application support was lost, producing the crash you are receiving.

Any versions below Skype 7.17 (Dec, 2015) are retired.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Novel Adventurer

I'd like to point out that Microsoft did not bother to include any such information in their minimal requirements page which I find most appalling.

Would you by any chance know what are other, hidden requirements for the web version beside having a specific browser and installing the plugin? I could not find information on it on skype website.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 3 of 4
Community Ambassador

It was never made a part of the minimum requirements possibly due to the fact that most 1 GHz processors produced since Skype was founded (2003) until today all have that instruction set (the past 13-16 years).  The only exception being AMD's slot/socket A/563 produced between 2001 - 2004.  In 2013, they did release a Skype FAQ about no longer supporting these older processors ( https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12252/why-can-t-i-make-video-calls-on-the-latest-version-of-skype... ).  You may be able to use Skype for Web for IM'ing.  The plug-in was designed for use with Windows 7 and above and has the same SSE2 requirement which will probably cause the plug-in to fail without it.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 4 of 4
Discussion Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation