By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

View 1 year+ old messages

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Highlighted
Novel Adventurer

I have my history set to "forever" but the option for viewing old messages is limited to "1 year".  How am I supposed to be able to view messages older than a year?  If I can't, then what's the point of having a "forever" retention setting?

Message 1 of 30 (193,495 Views)
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Former Ambassador
Solution
Accepted as a solution by NTHRIWZ
‎28-08-2015 11:00

Try SkypeLogView.  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/skype_log_view.html

If your messages are still saved on your PC it will show them.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 30 (236,628 Views)
29 Replies
Former Ambassador
Solution
Accepted as a solution by NTHRIWZ
‎28-08-2015 11:00

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
Message 2 of 30 (236,629 Views)
Community Ambassador

Have you used Skype on the same computer for more than 1 year? The history is only saved locally on this computer from which you have had the chat.

Message 3 of 30 (193,447 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Sorry for the uber slow reply.

Thanks for SLV.  It's just what I need.  I'll be telling others about this when they need to look at old IMs.

Message 4 of 30 (193,296 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Thanks.

Yes, I've been using Skype forever across at least 7 machines that I can think of offhand and my iPad (at least a couple of times).

Of course your reply raises these questions:

1. Is there something that can concatenate the IM files from more than one computer or is the log file a proprietary format that I need to flip to a text/whatever file just to be able to view/work with it?
  2. What file/file type am I looking for?  As of this moment there are 681 of them in that Skype user branch on this machine.
  3. If the files are saved locally on the machine I was using what happens to them on a tablet or phone?  And does that answer vary depending on it being an iDevice or an Android device?
Message 5 of 30 (193,291 Views)
Community Ambassador

All your chat history is only saved locally on your PC in one file – the main.db database file. This file is a standard SQLite database file and can be opened and read by any SQL browser/editor application.

It should be possible to move this main.db file from one PC to another but I don’t know about any easy method to merge two or more different main.db database files.

Message 6 of 30 (193,274 Views)
Novel Tourist

my PC is dead. how can i chek my sky msg

g4pilut wrote:

Message 7 of 30 (184,703 Views)
Super Aviator

rosslin93 wrote: my PC is dead. how can i chek my sky msg

You can't. They are gone.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Message 8 of 30 (184,664 Views)
Novel Tourist

what if it is a mac?

Message 9 of 30 (183,135 Views)
Super Aviator

134009 wrote:

what if it is a mac?

download SQLite Database Browser

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/38584/sqlite-database-browser

and open the main.db file with it

~/Library/Application Support/Skype/tamim/main.db

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Message 10 of 30 (183,131 Views)
Discussion Stats