By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

USB Web camera in use

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Novel Adventurer

I have been using a USB Web camera with Skype for sometime.

Recently I get an error message when I try to turn on the video.  the message says:

Can't start video. Try closing other programs that might be using your webcam.

I am not aware of any other program using the camera.

I searched the internet and came up with an article that tells you how to find the camera handle and then run a program called Process explorer that tells you what is accessing the camera.

I did this and found that Skype is calling the webcam twice.  there is no other process that is trying to access the handle.

Skype works fine with the built in camera on my Microsoft Surface pro 4, but the camera is not in front of me as I use an external monitor.

On start-up of Skype it reports that video is available and if I accept the chance to check it, everything works for the check.  If I try to use it in a real call, it fails.

How do i fix this problem?

thanks

Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Novel Adventurer

A lot more playing with the problem and I have solved it.

The issue had nothing to do with Skype - it was a USB problem.  I swapped out my USB hub for a better quality one and the problem went away.  I can only assume that either the hub I had could not provide the power needed, or that it had gone bad over time.

5 Replies
Community Ambassador

With the external camera connected:

Please, run the DirectX diagnostics tool (32-bit). Run dxdiag.exe (Start - Run or Win key +R) then press enter or click "OK". Once the diagnostics completes, "Save All information..." to a text file. Please, attach this file to your post. 

The camera may be defective.  Have you tried the camera on another computer?

Novel Adventurer

File is attached.

I have tried the camera on another computer and it works fine in Skype

thanks

Community Ambassador

With Skype closed, does the external camera function with the Windows camera app?

Novel Adventurer

No.  The light comes on in the camera but the Windows app says it looks like another app is using the camera already.  error code 0xA00F4243(0xC00D3704)

...steve

Novel Adventurer

A lot more playing with the problem and I have solved it.

The issue had nothing to do with Skype - it was a USB problem.  I swapped out my USB hub for a better quality one and the problem went away.  I can only assume that either the hub I had could not provide the power needed, or that it had gone bad over time.

Discussion Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation