By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Skype Community has moved

You can find the new Skype Community here. For more information please read this post.

Recipiant Can't Hear MP3 File Being Played Over PC Speakers

Novel Adventurer

I have been trying for 3 days to play a recording of my son's first words for my father over Skype.  He can hear me talk and I can hear him, but when the audio file plays, he can't hear it even though I can hear it over my speakers. 

I've called Skype customer service several times.  I finally reached a supervisor named "Scott" who said he was in India.  He asked for permission to remotely access my computer.  When I declined and told him that I was very computer literate and would be more than happy to have him give me instructions to resolve the issue, he went on a verbal tirade, calling me a "fool" and a "**bleep**ing idiot".  I realize this sounds ridiculous, but I'm not kidding.  When I told him that I suspected him of not actually working for Skype and possibly attempting a scam, he told me to "suck my **bleep**" and hung up. 

That being said, here's what I've tried to do to resolve the issue on my own. 

I have enabled "stereo mix" and made it my default recording device. 

I have enabled my Yeti Stereo Microphone and made it my default recording device

I have enabled "Internal Microphone Array" and made it my default recording device.

I have tried a number of these both individually and in conjunction withe each other.

For playback, I have used my PC speakers listed ad Speakers/HP High Definition Audio CODEC.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 1 of 8
7 Replies
Community Ambassador

Skype Customer Service has no telephone number, so the person you were talking with was definitely not from the official Skype Customer Service.

Regarding your issue with playing sounds trough Skype, you can try the Share System Sounds option. This option should be available since Skype 7.33 version.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34509/what-s-new-in-skype-for-windows-desktop

Flag for a Moderator
Message 2 of 8
Novel Adventurer

Thanks for the reply.  It appears that the "Share System Sounds" option is only for video calls, correct?  I am just doing voice calls as my father does not have a webcam. 

Flag for a Moderator
Message 3 of 8
Novel Adventurer

Thanks for the reply.  It appears that the "Share System Sounds" option is only for video calls, correct?  I am just doing voice calls as my father does not have a webcam. 

Flag for a Moderator
Message 4 of 8
Community Ambassador

That is incorrect.  Simply trying it out would immediately answer your question without having to ask anyone.  Here is a picture of the setting.  You will clearly see this is not a video call.

ShareSystemSound.jpg

Flag for a Moderator
Message 5 of 8
Novel Adventurer

techfreak wrote:

That is incorrect.  Simply trying it out would immediately answer your question without having to ask anyone.  Here is a picture of the setting.  You will clearly see this is not a video call.

ShareSystemSound.jpg

Thank you, techfreak, for responding without sarcasm or belittlement.  As stated in my original question, I am fairly computer literate, and, for the most part, know my way around software applications and a Windows OS.  I attempt to resolve issues on my own before reaching out to online communities because, frankly, individuals in said communities are often mean spirited, sarcastic know it all's who like to respond to people by pointing out the obvious because it makes them feel better about themselves to belittle someone.  When I receive an answer to my question, I do my best to try everything (including simply trying it out without having to ask anyone) before adding a response asking for further assistance.

That being said, I would like to share what happens when I make an actual call (not a Echo/Sound Test). 

1.jpg2.JPG

As you can see, I do not get the option to Share system sounds (you can clearly see that this is not a video call).  Instead, I only get the option to add people to the call.  Furthermore, you can see that I am using a new version of Skype (you can see by looking at the text which is highlighted in yellow).

Flag for a Moderator
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Community Ambassador

My reply was based off you incorrect assumption.  Anything else you assumed from the direction I provided is totally your creation.  For someone claiming they have exhausted all the options, I'm simply pointing out the basic tests I would have done.  

If you are not getting the option with USB devices and microphone arrays, I suggest you configure your computers using standard onboard audio devices to see if they become available.  You might even consider trying another computer out.  If others you know do have the option on their computer, try logging into your account to see if the option appears or disappears.  If other accounts you use or test with do not have credit, simply dial toll-free numbers to see if the option becomes available.

As a workaround you can try reverting to the older Skype audio/video protocol that does not segregate/filter out the audio streams.  This will produce a pop-up error that you can ignore every time you start Skype.

https://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Logitech-c930e-Video-Quality/m-p/4551217/highl...

Flag for a Moderator
Message 7 of 8
Community Ambassador

pdxgem725 wrote:

Thank you, techfreak, for responding without sarcasm or belittlement.  As stated in my original question, I am fairly computer literate, and, for the most part, know my way around software applications and a Windows OS.  I attempt to resolve issues on my own before reaching out to online communities because, frankly, individuals in said communities are often mean spirited, sarcastic know it all's who like to respond to people by pointing out the obvious because it makes them feel better about themselves to belittle someone.  When I receive an answer to my question, I do my best to try everything (including simply trying it out without having to ask anyone) before adding a response asking for further assistance.

That being said, I would like to share what happens when I make an actual call (not a Echo/Sound Test). 

1.jpg2.JPG

As you can see, I do not get the option to Share system sounds (you can clearly see that this is not a video call).  Instead, I only get the option to add people to the call.  Furthermore, you can see that I am using a new version of Skype (you can see by looking at the text which is highlighted in yellow).

The attached image clearly shows what you are doing wrong. You were trying to share system sound on a call to a phone number. This is not possible. This feature is only available on Skype-to-Skype calls.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 8 of 8
Discussion Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation