Re: I can't' log on :(

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

wheelermark wrote:

i also cannot log in.  i am running Windows 7 32-bit, iE 9.  I have tried installing skype 5.5 and 5.8.  No log in possible.  I have also tried SkypePortable using a program written by ruwim, startskype.exe.  No log in.  i tested the java for IE9, works fine.  I have also tried running skype with my firewall down.  i use ZoneAlarm.  I also ran the jscript.dll and jscript9.dll.  worked fine.  right now i am using skype on my iphone. 

Are you seeing a blank login window or Skype just not connect after login? JavaScript registration applies only to the first case.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7419
Message 11 of 18 (1,145 Views)

I put in my skype name and password and then the arrow just spins and spins.  No connection.  I have tried logging in with the firewall off.  But still no luck.

wheelermark
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 12 of 18 (1,132 Views)

[ Edited ]

Can't login either, tried the App Data folder rename trick and didn't work. Client was working fine on this wireless network (client's) before today. Here's my details:

Windows 7 x64

Skype 5.8.32.156 (downloaded latest manually, auto update wouldn't work through client)

Avast! Free AV 7.0.1407

Steps I've taken but still not working:

Reset my password (am able to successfully login to Skype via website. Also am able to login without issue on iPhone app)

I've added Skype to firewall exceptions (never had to do this before). 

Updated Skype client to latest version

Rebooted computer after latest Skype update

Disabled Avast! shields and Firewalls and tried connecting

Nothing showed up in system logs (application, system or administrative events) that point to particular issue with network/skype/etc.

Verified IE settings per troubleshooting steps

UPDATE: Okay so after typing all that crap up there, I tested one more thing and I got it working. Resolution (for me) was to tether my laptop to my iPhone. I did that to test to see if it was security issue with wireless network I was on. Once tethered, Skype connected just fine. I disconnected from my iPhone network and switched back to wifi and strangely enough, Skype is still connected! Not sure what happened but wanted to at least post a workaround solution for anyone else looking.

sqlchicken
Novel Adventurer
Message 13 of 18 (1,124 Views)

Hello. Please explain, how should i USE the Internet Explorer? I really do not use it, only for some short sessions once a week. how does skype depend on IE? What should be used in IE to keep skype working? n.b.: I am not about to update IE. Thanks
ybalashov
Casual Tourist
Message 14 of 18 (1,115 Views)

Unfortunately the way IE is baked into the OS, programs use the network settings that IE uses. In that respect, you need to make sure the network connection settings are correct using IE to verify connectivity.

To do this open IE, go to Tools menu the go to Internet Options. From there, click on the Connections tab and walk through the troubleshooting steps from the guide. On the latest version of IE (9), click on the Settings button to bring up the setting for automatically detect settings.
sqlchicken
Novel Adventurer
Message 15 of 18 (1,111 Views)

Still not able to log in.  The settings on IE seem to be normal and it works fine.  Also my iphone connects to skype using wifi.  so my connection to the internet is fine.  i don't know what else to try.  Any suggestions?

wheelermark
Casual Adventurer
Message 16 of 18 (1,088 Views)

wheelermark wrote:

Still not able to log in.  The settings on IE seem to be normal and it works fine.  Also my iphone connects to skype using wifi.  so my connection to the internet is fine.  i don't know what else to try.  Any suggestions?

Have you tried with totally disabled ZoneAlarm? Not only the firewall, but also the Antivirus program.

Also, do you have the same problems when not using WiFi but a cabled connection?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7419
Message 17 of 18 (1,073 Views)

I got skype 5.5 working by using the cabled connection to the internet instead of WIFI.  I tried updating to 5.8, but then my speakers stopped working (just "lucky" i guess).  so i uninstalled 5.8 and reinstalled 5.5.  Everything works (skype, speakers, microphone).  Then I disconnected the cable and switched to WIFI.  Skype came back an so far all is working fine.  Thank you for your help.  I would have never thought the cable made a difference.

wheelermark
Casual Adventurer
Message 18 of 18 (1,060 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling