By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

How to reset Skype all together?

Novel Tourist

Hey, my Skype keeps showing all my contacts offline when I know they're logged in. And shows me offline to everyone else, even though my status is Online. I've tried fixing it by logging on and off, and shutting down/ restarting my laptop......

Is there anyway I can reset the whole thing, or what do I do?

Message 1 of 16 (58,671 Views)
15 Replies
Novel Tourist

I'd like to know the answer.  I have the exact same situation.  Is there a problem with Skype?  I believe the same was happening to my sister when we were both online.  Thanks.

Message 2 of 16 (58,654 Views)
Former Ambassador

midnightromeo91 wrote:

Hey, my Skype keeps showing all my contacts offline when I know they're logged in. And shows me offline to everyone else, even though my status is Online. I've tried fixing it by logging on and off, and shutting down/ restarting my laptop......

Is there anyway I can reset the whole thing, or what do I do?

The problem you're encountering is (unfortunately) not uncommon and I don't know of a sure-fire solution for it.  However, you can reset your Skype configuration files via this procedure to see if it helps:

Quit Skype.  Hold the Windows key and type r.  In the box that comes up type %appdata% <enter>.  Scroll down to find the \Skype folder and rename it something like \Skype_old.  Restart Skype.

Note:  Renaming the Skype folder will move IM and call history to the renamed folder.  They can be recovered with a few extra steps.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
Message 3 of 16 (58,637 Views)
Novel Adventurer
But how do yo RESTART Skype????
Message 4 of 16 (55,958 Views)
Novel Adventurer

But how do you RESTART Skype!!!!

Message 5 of 16 (55,957 Views)
Former Ambassador

The way you usually start Skype....by clicking on the Skype shortcut on your desktop or quicklaunch bar, or on the Windows Start menu.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
Message 6 of 16 (55,847 Views)
Novel Tourist

When I try to rename skype, it doesn't let me, it says: "Thr action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program" Even after I close everything related to skype. How do I rename it?

Message 7 of 16 (36,698 Views)
Novel Adventurer
What does resetting do to ur profile does it delete ur contacts
Message 8 of 16 (32,129 Views)
Novel Tourist
I woul like to reset Skype on my htc one. I log out few times since then I'm having problem sining in
Message 9 of 16 (28,053 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Skype dont restart like your PC can do.

You can do that manually by quitting it and launching again.

Message 10 of 16 (23,023 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 33 kudos
  • 13 in conversation