By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Blocking a contact

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Novel Adventurer

Can someone advise me as to what actually happens when I block somone? Are they made aware they have been blocked? If so, how? When I unblock do they know they have been unblocked? Essentially, want to prevent some contacts from getting in touch for a while, but would rather they don't know they've been blocked to avoid questions!!

thanks

Message 1 of 39 (73,980 Views)
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Power User
Solution
Accepted by Claudius (Community Manager)
‎28-08-2015 11:00

when you block a person, they will receive no notifications or warnings about your actions.  the same goes when you unblock them.  

however, the other user could notice significant changes when you block them such as they can't be able to call you or send you IMs, see your online status or mood message, and view portions of your profile details.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 39 (74,385 Views)
38 Replies
Power User
Solution
Accepted by Claudius (Community Manager)
‎28-08-2015 11:00

when you block a person, they will receive no notifications or warnings about your actions.  the same goes when you unblock them.  

however, the other user could notice significant changes when you block them such as they can't be able to call you or send you IMs, see your online status or mood message, and view portions of your profile details.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES

Message 2 of 39 (74,386 Views)
Novel Adventurer

thanks PM

Message 3 of 39 (73,951 Views)
Novel Tourist

I have a slightly different problem. I have a blocked contact and the guy keeps getting im's to me./ Its very frustrating. Any help is welcome.

Message 4 of 39 (73,854 Views)
Power User

can you double check if that users is using the same account (they might be using two differents accounts with the same display name).  Check Tools >> Options >> Privacy >> Blocked Contacts, to see if their username appears there, then check the username of the person who just messaged you.

Perhaps a better solution is to change your Privacy Settings to allow IMs (and Calls) from people who are in your contact list only.

Message 5 of 39 (73,848 Views)
Novel Tourist

Still, there remains a question to me. If I block someone, I know they can't contact me, and they also don't see whether I'm online, but what is my symbol in the blocked person's contact list. Will it be a "X" or will it be a "?"

Thanx

Message 6 of 39 (73,696 Views)

skypator wrote:

Still, there remains a question to me. If I block someone, I know they can't contact me, and they also don't see whether I'm online, but what is my symbol in the blocked person's contact list. Will it be a "X" or will it be a "?"

Thanx

It can vary depending on their version of Skype. But, they will not be able to see your actual Skype status in their contact list.

About Me You can also use a IP Camera as your camera for Skype video Example Instructions
Message 7 of 39 (73,682 Views)
Novel Tourist

HELLO. IM HAVING A PROBLEM. SOME GUY IS HARRASING ME ON SKYPE. IM TRYING TO BLOCK HIM BUT FOR SOME REASON BLOCK BUTTON IS NOT LIGHTED UP. AND I CANT PRESS ON IT. WHY IS THAT? I HAVE MAC

Message 8 of 39 (72,150 Views)
Novel Tourist
Im using an ipad how cani block a contact which has question mark identification?
Message 9 of 39 (71,471 Views)
Novel Tourist

When you block a person, can they still view messages from previous conversations you two have had?

Message 10 of 39 (69,103 Views)
Discussion Stats