By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Restore 6.13 set of emotes

Imagine my disgust seeing some tall cat thing when I try to type out ":3". And the horror when I find out that (fubar), (finger), (wtf), and (hollest) don't do anything either.

My idea for the Windows client is for Skype to restore the (fubar), (finger), (wtf), and (hollest) smileys and remove the ":3" smiley (and reverting any other changes that were made that I haven't listed). Put the emote set back to the way it was in version 6.13, please!

174 Comments
thedevking
Novel Tourist

Why stop there? If you really don't want people to be offended, give them an option to censor "offensive" words, just don't enable it by defualt.

There was nothing wrong with having these undocumented emoticons. They weren't forced on anyone who didn't want to use them. You aren't forced to talk to people who use language you don't like. If you are offended by the way someone talks or the emoticons they use, don't talk to them or ask them to not do it with you.

Now if I want to jokingly tell someone to "f*ck off", I'll have to do so in text, and my sarcasm/non-serious intention will not come across as clearly. n):

Yellowington
Novel Tourist

For those who complained they were offended by a little cartoony smiley, I ahve a list of contact info for therapists who you can visit to find out why you are emotionally triggered by a tiny cartoon when the majority of the world is not.

Just add back all the smileys you removed (you can keep the others you added) and if the ofended can't afford therapy then they can find less triggering software to use.

Mirunan Staff
Staff
Status changed to: Under consideration
Thank you all for your feedback, we will raise this with the right team.
SQueek666
Casual Tourist

Please bring back all these emoticons!!! Sometimes I don't understand you MS

St0rmkr0w
Novel Tourist
Bring back the emotes you removed, without asking the user base if they did or didn't use them! Whomever decided to remove them from Skype should be fired for thinking they know what the Skype Community "wants" without ACTUALLY asking us!
Psymon
Routine Adventurer

I found out today that :3 created a cat instead of leaving the cat face.

I've never been completely satisfied with skype's emoticons, but I leave them on because my settings don't affect who I'm talking to, and it could become troublesome if what I think I sent doesn't quite match that I actually sent.

I'd really like if there was an option to toggle whether individual picture emoticons get sent.

That way, skype can add as many as they want, with whatever character combination they want, and I can always fall back to sending the character emoticon rather that the picture imoticon if I want.

0x1
Casual Tourist

Seriously, is the world now a safer place? (wtf)? Just put them back... meanwhile I must turn the video on to present my (finger)... hope MS does not blurr that out..

zemas_inc
Casual Tourist

+ me to return these emotions

it could be turned off for children under 13 or something like that

Damian082
Casual Tourist

I use version 4.2 because can't stand v6 gayness nor continuous requests for updates (even if disabled) and, in addition, no ads on v4 (even if i have some credit, so that's not the reson for me)

After MS bought skype message delivery speed went south and now, probably because of some whiney people, we (actually You, since i'm staying with v4.2) lose also some of the best icons.

It's not reallY about the icons but I personally can't stand this BS.

Btw.. there is also a Telegram client for Windows

STVLT
Novel Tourist

I agree.  These icons were a 'fun' way to express ourselves to colleagues and friends alike.  They ARE part of the language and should be used.  If these are removed because of fear of offending people, is the next step to limit the words that can be seen as offensive also? 

PLEASE BRING THEM BACK!