By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

New ads / Ad choices

My idea is, get rid of the new advertisement feature which has been put in and appears at the top of the screen when you're typing in chat with someone

ie:

ADVERTISEMENT HERE

Person you're typing to info here

Chat log here

The ad up top is HUGELY distracting.  I don't mind ads on the contact list or on the status updates page, but when it's where I'm typing to someone its just unbearable. 

This just started today for me and quite honestly it's making me want to switch to another provider for chat like things.

If there was an option to choose where you saw ads that would be acceptable as well, but right now this new thing with the ad popping up up top when I'm typing to someone is horrendous.

143 Comments
averagejoe55522
Novel Tourist

AD sense is garbage. its annoying, and I will find an alternative to skype if it does not go away.

its bad enough that these things are on websites. nobody likes them, and they should go away one way or another.

averagejoe55522
Novel Tourist

As a matter of fact keep it and I will write a program like skype and make a lot of money because people will go to my service

Melikoth
Casual Adventurer

Remove the auto-injecting adverts from our chat history.

Ads are a big point of contention for me as we use skype in a business setting and even with credits, not all the ads have gone away in previous versions. To that end, we are reluctant to upgrade because of the avertisement issues that plagued the mid-6 releases.

DoSomething
Novel Tourist

Does Microsoft really need money so badly that they need to put advertisements INSIDE of programs? Is Skype adware now? If you really need ads, at least make it not so obnoxious like previous versions. It makes the program look so bad and makes it look like it was developed by some random kid on the internet instead of a team backed by Microsoft. The only other program I've used in the past that had advertisements inside of it was an unofficial Chinese PS3 controller driver. Please don't treat a computer program like some crappy ad-ridden smartphone app,

I use an old version of Skype + blocked the ad IPs in the hosts file because of this. I would upgrade but the advertisement bars are still there even when the ads don't load.

I don't know how the whole Skype team + Microsoft thing works, but I'm willing to bet the Skype experience would be a lot better if we had a similar dev team like the people who are working on Windows 10. They seem VERY open to user opinions on making Win 10 better.

I also love how this is STILL "under consideration". This post is over a year old now.

N0aDs
Novel Tourist

In the last day or two Skype did an automatic update 'to make Skype more user friendly' or some such excuse.  So I turned off automatic updates.  After the update the ads showed up at the top of the page.  Just how is THAT at all helpful to anyone but Skype and the advertisers?  Perhaps we should all contact every single advertiser and tell them that advertising w/ Skype in this way makes us want to totally boycott their businesses altogether!  I vote to take the **bleep** ads OFF the page altogether and go back to the user friendly, uncluttered page it used to be before their great 'improvement'!  A friend is having problems with two versions of Skype because it decided to add itself to another program without her permission.  

connormcinnis
Routine Adventurer

i know! whats with the god dam ads? its makes no sense, unless the concept is to bug the crapbola out of people

NMMc
Novel Tourist

I'm not sure this is worth the time to comment, since people have been asking for this fix for a year and a half, I'll join my voice. I do not mind having ads support Skype, but it is really frustrating to have focus taken away from the text box into which I'm currently typing.  I'm sure this can be fixed and I really with you would.

adurazo
Novel Tourist

As with many other people who have posted here. Losing focus of the text box while typing is the biggest issue. I welcome the advertisments because that is what is keeping the service going but losing focus on ad change has caused me to chime in. Regards

Neras
Reliable Tourist

I ended up coming here after I began to notice that whenever I'm typing in Skype and a new advertisement loads that my typing field loses focus and I have to click it again and figure out what I was typing before I was so rudely interrupted.

This is very poor design because it disrupts the user experience due to the advertisements, making the program tedious to use and disruptive to work flow. I only use it for personal use right now, but down the line I could very well be considering it for business use and behavior like this makes me feel that Apple's FaceTime and iMessage are much better alternatives for business communciation as I'm never bombarded by advertisements that cause me to have to catch my train of thought mid-sentence because an advertisement stole window focus.

I'm currently running Skype 7.8.0.102 on Windows 10 when this is occuring. As this is on a laptop it means I have to use my trackpad every time the input field loses focus, or attempt to figure out a key combination that will return me to it, perhaps like Shift-Tab. Ultimately I should not have to do this because the fact the input field loses focus when the advertisement frame reloads shows me that someone didn't do sufficient quality assurance here or that the way the iframes are programmed is done wrong.

If it were a background reload that didn't make my window lose focus I wouldn't be so aggravated by it but as it stands now it's highly disruptive and I feel that Skype makes more than enough revenue from other sources to not need the advertisements that I never willingly click anyway.

elDubDa
Casual Tourist

Yes - I hate it taking focus away from my typing... stop it!!!!!!!!!