By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Skype Community has moved

You can find the new Skype Community here. For more information please read this post.

New ads / Ad choices

This idea has been archived. The current active ideas can be found in the Skype Idea Exchange

My idea is, get rid of the new advertisement feature which has been put in and appears at the top of the screen when you're typing in chat with someone

ie:

ADVERTISEMENT HERE

Person you're typing to info here

Chat log here

The ad up top is HUGELY distracting.  I don't mind ads on the contact list or on the status updates page, but when it's where I'm typing to someone its just unbearable. 

This just started today for me and quite honestly it's making me want to switch to another provider for chat like things.

If there was an option to choose where you saw ads that would be acceptable as well, but right now this new thing with the ad popping up up top when I'm typing to someone is horrendous.

143 Comments
Casual Tourist

The last 20 or so hours of moaning of complaing from long-term users should be enough for the developers to make the necessary changes. Hopefully....

Casual Tourist

If things haven't been fixed by the weekend I could get a petition up...  If anyone here would like to sign it and spread it assuming it works then it'd be much appreciated.

Casual Tourist

Another thing that we could do, if a petition fails, is get people to buy stock in microsoft, and then make ANOTHER petition.  Then we could legitimately say "You are angering your stockholders, stop this now."  Heck, get everyone who signed the petition to buy a single share.  If there would be enough people willing to do that, Microsoft would HAVE to listen, since we'd all be part owners of the company.

Or send a whole lot of letters and snail mail them to the people in charge of skype, putting a lot of pressure to get the ball rolling in the customer's favor.  That sort of campaign might work too.

Novel Tourist

I agree with all... these ads are horrible. I use skype in my profession and seeing ads during conversations are distracting or when sharing screens. Especially when an ad appears with little green shoes with pink flowers on them.

Novel Adventurer

These new stupid ads are actual a contridiction of their privacy terms, it states in them that there is an OPTION to turn off targetted ads, NOT, even doing it through the webpage, it still does not disable them, as these targetted adverts are MAINLY 3d party and rarely anything to do with Microsoft software and hardware,that means Microsoft is in breach of ITS OWN AGREEMENT with users. Section 5.1 to be exact as follows;

5. YOUR ADVERTISING CHOICES

5.1 Third Party Advertisements

Skype websites and some Skype software clients enable third-party advertisements provided by Microsoft Advertising. In order to provide ads of greater interest to you, these ads may be targeted based on non-personally identifiable Skype profile information (including profile information from linked Microsoft accounts), such as age, gender, country of residence, and language preference, as well as other information Microsoft Advertising collects outside the Skype software client. For instance, Microsoft Advertising may utilize the same browser cookies set by Microsoft websites to enhance targeting within the Skype software client.
To learn more about how Microsoft Advertising collects and uses information to target ads on Skype and other properties, including how it uses information collected from Skype, such as age and gender and other information collected as part of delivering ads to or on behalf of Skype to target ads on other properties, please see the Microsoft Advertising Privacy Statement

Except for the modern Skype client running on Windows 8, you may opt-out of Microsoft targeted ads in any Skype software client that enables targeted ads by visiting the privacy menu in the Skype software client toolbar. If you opt-out, you will still receive advertisements based on your country of residence, language preference, and IP address location, but other targeting information will not be used. For the modern Skype client running on Windows 8, you may opt-out of receiving targeted ads from Microsoft Advertising through your browser by visiting http://choice.live.com/advertisementchoice, or the NAI or DAA sites described below. For more information about how Microsoft Advertising collects and uses information, please see the Microsoft Advertising Privacy Supplement.

In some instances, Microsoft Advertising may facilitate the placement of advertisements in Skype software client by other online advertising networks. In some cases, these third parties may also place cookies on your computer and may collect information about your online activities across websites or online services. These companies currently include, but are not limited to: 24/7 Real Media, aCerno,Inc, AdBlade, AdConion, AdFusion, Advertising.com, AppNexus, Bane Media, Brand.net, CasaleMedia, Collective Media, Fox Interactive, Interclick, Millennial, ROI Media, SpecificMedia, Tribal Fusion, ValueClick, Yahoo!, YuMe and Zumobi. If you have opted-out of targeted ads in the Skype client as outlined above, Skype will not pass any profile information to such advertising providers with the ad request. However, because these third parties may place cookies on your computer that facilitate their own targeting, the Skype opt-out mechanism described above will not necessarily prevent ad targeting by these companies. These companies may offer you a way to opt-out of ad targeting based on their cookies. You may find more information by clicking on the company names above and following the links to the Web sites of each company. Many of them are also members of the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) or the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA), which each provide a simple way to opt-out of ad targeting from participating companies.

Novel Tourist

Non-intrusive ads (if not ad-free wichi would be ideal)

the exit button working as an -actual- exit button. None of this having to do a runaround just to close the program. If I click the big x in the corner. that means CLOSE not MINIMIZE 

Casual Tourist

Instead of using space-eating banners on the top of every conversation, you could instead use that lower left hand corner for box ads. Just like AIM does. It would be less intrusive and less anoying.

Look, a lot of my friends use skype and we all downgraded to 6.9. But you know just as well as I do that this is not a permanent solution. Eventually you'll block us out. And none of us are going to pay to get rid of them either if that's what you had in mind. So thats why we are on the lookout for a skype replacement. So far AIM has proved to be one of the better options, and its ads aren't flashy, intrusive, or annoying.

We're not a small group. And even my friends outside of our group chats are expressing interest in taking their chats elsewhere. No joke. We're going through our list of options right now. We're testing what works best. And you can bet that all of us were scared when you aquired Skype. This right here is exactly why. I knew sooner or later we would have to move.

Or, you can take my suggestion. I know not many of us would want it but if we have to have it I feel thats the place. I'd much rather have it take up some of my contacts column space rather than taking up so much space I don't have on my skype chats. I use a laptop. This is a problem.

Hopefully we can compromise, if not, we're moving.

Novel Tourist

How about removing scripted advertisement capabilities from your desktop client, so that people don't get infected from malevolent advertisements that are spawning malware infected websites in everyone's browsers? Having malware spread through your software is seriously bad news.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Recently-been-experiencing-quot-Pop-up-quot-Ads...

Novel Adventurer
How can I get rid of the annoying adverts that appear on the screen?
Staff
Status changed to: Under consideration
Thank you all for your feedback! We will be raising this with the team.