By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

skype does not recognize my webcam

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Adventurer

Yes have re installed that vesion and turned off auto updates, restarted computor, cam works ok on windows and manufacturer says cam is compatible with Sype.Cam mic works on Skype so can't understand why video is not recognised.

Message 21 of 50 (2,045 Views)
Community Ambassador

What is the model of your webcam?

What exactly do you see in Skype -> Tools -> Video settings?

Message 22 of 50 (2,039 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Manhattan CAM760 Pro HD, not on the computer that we are trying to install cam, but frm memory page comes up with the note that Skype cannot find cam. Then offers links to shop, how to use video calling ect.

The chat support said that we should get a dropdown menu showing webcams and we select the make we have. That didn't happen.

Message 23 of 50 (2,035 Views)
Community Ambassador

Try to connect this webcam to another USB port. Avoid using unpowered USB hubs.

Message 24 of 50 (2,027 Views)
Novel Adventurer
The USB port used is on the pc so is powered.
Message 25 of 50 (2,022 Views)
Novel Tourist

ruwim wrote: Have you tried to install the older 6.1.0.129 version using this msi-installer?

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.1.0.129.msi

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for posting this fix. My MD80 Mini DV camera was functioning properly in Windows XP SP3 but not recognized as a webcam in Skype 6.5.

//////////

Message 26 of 50 (1,789 Views)
Novel Adventurer

I have tried with both the latest version of Skype and the previous one but the program bo longer reconizes the presence of my Logitech 9000 Pro Webcam. This is try on my mainframe (running Win7) and my Noteook (running WinXP). Everything was fine until recently. Is there some issue with this particular camera and/or some versions of Skype? This is extremely frustrating and have seem several posts here with much the same issue but few solutions provided. Thanks.

Message 27 of 50 (1,265 Views)
Novel Adventurer

My laptop has two webcams listed in device manager (one is external and one built in). Both work perfectly. In fact, Skype recognises thebuilt in mic on the webcam as a mic input - but still says there are no webcams attached.

All drivers updated.

Tried using the older version of Skype which seems to work for some. it DOES NOT WORK for me.

There are a large volume of complaints regarding this issue online. Skype mods are apparently not interested in fixing it.

Unless I receive a reply that fixes the issue within 24 hours, I will uninstall Skype and use an alternative method of making video calls. I am tired of trawling about on the net and tweaking my laptop settings, uninstalling and reinstalling software when this is YOUR FAULT.

Message 28 of 50 (1,247 Views)
Novel Adventurer

ps

THE SKYPE HOME PAGE REPORTS THAT MY WEBCAM HAS A BUILT IN MIC WHICH I SHOULD USE....BUT STILL TELLS ME I HAVE NO WEBCAM INSTALLED ON THE VIDEO SETTINGS PAGE!!!

Well done, Microsoft - you bought Skype and managed to break it within weeks.

Message 29 of 50 (1,244 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Thanks for the reply. I am astonished at how many complaints of this nature there are and now few responses. Also did all the things you did, to no avail.

Message 30 of 50 (1,244 Views)
Discussion Stats