By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

We can't open Skype. You are already signed in on this computer. Please sign out and try again.

SOLVED
Go to Solution
This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Community Ambassador

hieveryone wrote:
how can i re-establish my call and chat history? after i did what you said, there are 2 folders now. Old_Skype and Skype. what do i have to do? thanks a lot for your time, and sorry for my bad english

Make sure that Skype is not running on your computer (Quit).

Open the Old_Skype folder. Find there a sub-folder named as your Skype account. Within this folder you will find the database file named main.db. Be aware that it might be shown as just “main” but with description “Data Base” or “DB file” in the Type column. This database file contains all you chat and call history Copy and transfer this file to corresponding folder in the newly created Skype folder.

Message 21 of 53 (2,089 Views)
Casual Adventurer
thanks a lot for your reply!! i tried to copy the file as you said, and it shows me the message file already exists with that name in this post, and I had two options to choose, copy and replace or copy but to maintain both files. i choose the second. after these i opened again skype and my history was not there again. do i have to choose copy and replace? thank you for your time again!!!!
Message 22 of 53 (2,081 Views)
Casual Adventurer

thanks a lot for your reply!! i tried to copy the file as you said, and it shows me the message file already exists with that name in this post, and I had two options to choose, copy and replace or copy but to maintain both files. i choose the second. after these i opened again skype and my history was not there again. do i have to choose copy and replace? thank you for your time again!!!!

Message 23 of 53 (2,059 Views)
Community Ambassador

hieveryone wrote:

You should absolutely have selected the option “copy and replace”. Skype is always using the actual version of the main.db file and a copy will not make any good. Be however aware that replacing the main.db file with the one from Old_Skype will also replace all your chat history which you had after renaming the Skype file. You can only replace one main.db file with the other but not to join them.

Message 24 of 53 (2,042 Views)
Casual Adventurer

thank you so much!!! it worked!!! wish you the best and happy new year!!!

Message 25 of 53 (2,038 Views)
Community Ambassador

Great y):, and Happy New Skype Year to you too.

Message 26 of 53 (2,033 Views)
Reliable Adventurer

I also have the cant open skype "bug". On windows 8 where the app is terrible so I want to use the desktop prog. I did the delete and it worked. But now its gone again after a reboot. Maybe windows 8 was not a good idea. The apps are rubbish for the most and other stuff doesnt work

Message 27 of 53 (1,958 Views)
Casual Adventurer

Hello,

here same issue on windows 8 : cant open skype, because already logged in.

Already using the latest version of skype for desktop for windows 8.

What is the final conclusion to fix this issue on windows 8?

Thx

Message 28 of 53 (1,783 Views)
Reliable Adventurer

I ended up uninstalling and re-installing. So far its ok. I only had the problem with microsoft account where I had messenger and facebook accounts added.

Also had big problems with android version but that also seems better

Message 29 of 53 (1,776 Views)
Novel Adventurer

I should've done that instead of the 'solution' involving changing the file name.

Went through appdata changed folder name from Skype to Skype1.

Finally opens...but ALL of my contacts are unknown...then skype begins to re-ping me for every past conversation I've had in a week and erase notification settings. Woo.

Hopefully this doesn't happen but once every 3 years...

Message 30 of 53 (1,494 Views)
Discussion Stats