By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Skype won't install--"insufficient privileges"

SOLVED
Go to Solution
This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Adventurer

Windows 7 user here. I have had Skype before on this computer, but today the program suddenly disappeared. I have tried reinstalling it, but every time I do an error message shows up stating:

"The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype. The installation cannot continue. Log on as administrator or contact your system administrator."

Seeing as I am the system administrator, I have no idea what is going on. I have already tried to run the installer as administrator and have checked the security options in the properties to ensure that I have the proper permissions. Neither of these have worked.

Please help me out. I'm pretty lost as to what to do right now.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Super Aviator
Solution
Accepted as a solution by kas-elakh
‎28-08-2015 11:00

go to C:\Program Files (x86)\ and Right click Skype folder  >> then click Properties.

On the security tab, click permissions or Edit. Select the "Everyone" group >> click "Full Control" in the Type of Access List. 

Select the Replace Permissions on Subdirectories check box. Click OK >> Yes.

Here is a MR. FixIT

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549

Visit the page and Click the FixIT icon.

Restart your PC.

redownload Skype with this link

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

Run the installer with ADMIN rights

Right click the "SkypeSetupFull.exe" and select "Run as administrator"

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 23 (35,374 Views)
22 Replies
Super Aviator

re-download and install Skype with this link:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_5.10.0.116.msi

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Message 2 of 23 (33,987 Views)
Novel Adventurer

The issue is still occurring, but thank you for trying to help.

Message 3 of 23 (33,986 Views)
Super Aviator
Solution
Accepted as a solution by kas-elakh
‎28-08-2015 11:00

go to C:\Program Files (x86)\ and Right click Skype folder  >> then click Properties.

On the security tab, click permissions or Edit. Select the "Everyone" group >> click "Full Control" in the Type of Access List. 

Select the Replace Permissions on Subdirectories check box. Click OK >> Yes.

Here is a MR. FixIT

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549

Visit the page and Click the FixIT icon.

Restart your PC.

redownload Skype with this link

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

Run the installer with ADMIN rights

Right click the "SkypeSetupFull.exe" and select "Run as administrator"

Regards,
Tamim

Message 4 of 23 (35,375 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Seems to have worked! Thank you so much, Tamim! (◡‿◡✿)

Message 5 of 23 (33,948 Views)
Super Aviator

You are very welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
Tamim

Message 6 of 23 (33,946 Views)
Novel Adventurer

I am a new (hopefully" user. Running on XP. I'm novice and no idea how to trouble shoot. Please advise?

Message 7 of 23 (32,770 Views)
Super Aviator

Download and run the FixIT

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9708107

Restart your computer and then try installing Skype.

Regards,
Tamim

Message 8 of 23 (32,759 Views)
Novel Adventurer

I get the same Insufficient Permissions response

Message 9 of 23 (32,756 Views)
Super Aviator

caboy4747,

Have you already tried my previous post?

Regards,
Tamim

Message 10 of 23 (32,755 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 14 in conversation