By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Skype sound coming through speakers not headphones

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Adventurer

Recently i got my hard drive changed, and since then skype sounds have not been coming through my headphones. people can hear me i just cant hear them as well. Its annoying since everything was working before. And the sound of youtube videos comes through fine.

so im not sure what it is.

Anyone help? Thanks

Message 1 of 31 (111,183 Views)
30 Replies
Community Ambassador

What settings do you have for Speakers in Tools -> Options -> Audio settings?

Message 2 of 31 (111,180 Views)
Novel Adventurer
how do i get to the tools first?
then i can say
Message 3 of 31 (111,177 Views)
Community Ambassador

Tools is on the menu bar of your Skype window.

Message 4 of 31 (111,174 Views)
Novel Adventurer
It seems my default settings were speakers rather than headphones...*facepalm*
Thanks ruwim
Message 5 of 31 (111,171 Views)
Novel Tourist

Solution is under Tools-->General-->Audio Settings-->Speakers-->Select "Headphones" from drop down. It will start work.

Message 6 of 31 (108,911 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Hey guys n girl try going to skype tools > Options > Audio settings > And then the drop down box next to RINGING select > Use selected speakers

Hope that works, worked for me :happy:

Message 7 of 31 (108,729 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Not working. Still comes from laptop instead of headphone while doing a video call. everything was ok before the last update of my skype now i can`t listen to music or whatever

Message 8 of 31 (97,883 Views)
Novel Adventurer
Uninstalled the last update and installed back Skype It went back to normal!
Message 9 of 31 (97,876 Views)
Novel Adventurer

This is really a horrible bug, because it inappropriately routes sound through the speakers that isn't even related to Skype. For example, I am listening to a radio stream and, when I receive a Skype message, that audio blasts through the speakers.

I can't imagine why Skype would design its software this way on purpose, nor why I would be required to change ANY setting in Skype to fix something that Skype broke.

Message 10 of 31 (95,912 Views)
Discussion Stats