By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Skype not detecting my webcam, please reply..

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Adventurer

Hi, I am currently using the built-in HD Webcam 101 on my laptop for Skype. This is my exact laptop: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=4229965&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us 

I've been able to use the video call perfectly fine up until this past week. Skype is not able to detect my webcam at all and on my Device Manager, my HD Webcam 101 says that it is working properly.

I've tried disabling and then enabling it. It works! But, the same issue re-occurs whenever I restart my laptop. Obviously, I don't want to keep doing that procedure just to get it working. Is there anyway you guys can help me fix this issue? It is becoming a big problem because I make a lot of business video calls over Skype. Thanks...hope I get a response asap.

Message 1 of 49 (73,129 Views)
48 Replies
Highlighted
Former Ambassador

What version of Skype are you running?  Click on Help > About Skype for the specific version number.

How are you disabling and then enabling your webcam to get it to start working?

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
Message 2 of 49 (73,118 Views)
Novel Adventurer

I am currently running on the 5.8.0.158 version.

I go on my Device Manager to disable my webcam and then I restart my computer. Then, I enable it and start my Skype and that's how it works.

Message 3 of 49 (73,107 Views)
Former Ambassador

Are you starting Skype automatically when you start Windows, or do you start Skype manually after Windows is already running?   If you're starting Skype with Windows, try changing to letting Windows start before starting Skype to see if that makes any difference.

When Skype doesn't detect your webcam, if you click on Tools > Options > Video settings, what does it say in the "Select webcam" box?    If you click on the pull down arrow next to that box, are there choices that can be selected there?

If there is nothing that can be selected in Video settings, and since you weren't having this problem up until recently, you can try recetting your Skype configuration files with this procedure:

Quit Skype.  Hold the Windows key and type r.  In the box that comes up type %appdata% <enter>.  Scroll down to find the \Skype folder and rename it something like \Skype_old.  Restart Skype.

Note:  Renaming the Skype folder will move IM and call history to the renamed folder.  They can be recovered with a few extra steps.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
Message 4 of 49 (73,104 Views)
Novel Adventurer

I start Skype manually after Windows is already running. And no, it doesn't make any difference.

When I click on the pull down arrow next to the box, it says HD Webcam 101 and CyberLink Web Camera Filter but this Cyberlink has been in it ever since and nothing changed.

I did what you said but the same issue is still occurring.

Is there any other way to fix this?

Message 5 of 49 (73,079 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Yes, it works perfectly fine. For some strange reason, it doesn't work with Skype.

Message 6 of 49 (73,035 Views)
Novel Tourist
try getting another webcam app

like youcam
Message 7 of 49 (72,317 Views)
Novel Adventurer
skype couldn't fine a webcam with a webcam you can make free video call to anyone else on skype anywere in the world

Message 8 of 49 (66,898 Views)
Novel Adventurer

g4pilut wrote:

What version of Skype are you running?  Click on Help > About Skype for the specific version number.

How are you disabling and then enabling your webcam to get it to start working?

Message 9 of 49 (66,898 Views)
Novel Tourist
hi there, i'm currently using the latest version of skype and again the same thing its not detecting my webcam... i need help... i'm not being able to fix this problem... anyone can help please?
Message 10 of 49 (9,694 Views)
Discussion Stats