By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Skype doesn't recognize my headset

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Tourist

I'm on a Toshiba laptop that has built-in speakers and microphone and Skype seems to only recognize those even though the same headset works just fine with Skype on my desktop computer.

Message 1 of 18 (38,110 Views)
17 Replies
Novel Adventurer
I have the same problem! I wish the internet could turn up a solution; it's quite a problem living with roommates or studying with a long-distance friend in the library.
Message 2 of 18 (37,850 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Hey everyone, I've found the solution! 

1. Go to "Manage audio devices" from your Start Menu. 

2. Under "Playback", highlight "Speakers".

3. Click on "Properties" in the bottom right corner. 

4. In the "Speakers Properties" window, go to the "Advanced" tab.

5. UNCLICK "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device."

Hope this works for you like it did for me  

Message 3 of 18 (37,841 Views)
Novel Adventurer
I followed your advice on how to deal with the problem as I have the same problem but the "advanced" tab is greyed out so I can't do advanced changes. How do I get around that?
Message 4 of 18 (37,706 Views)
Casual Tourist

I went to Audio settings at the option of "Allow application to take exclusive control of the device" is already selected, but I still have the problem. Skype does not recognize my headset.

Any ideas?

Message 5 of 18 (35,798 Views)
Novel Tourist

1. Go to "Manage audio devices" from your Start Menu. 

2. Under "Playback", highlight "Speakers".

3. Turn the other speakers out
4. Press right mouse button, and select ''disabled Devices''

Message 6 of 18 (35,433 Views)
Novel Tourist

The suggestion didn't work for me either.  I found my solution as follows: 
On Skype page, from the Call dropdown, select Audio Settings.
1. Under Microphone, from the dropdown, manually select the device you want to use.

2. Under Speakers, from the dropdown, manually select the device you want to use.

Message 7 of 18 (33,624 Views)
Novel Tourist

My probelm is that Skype doesn't see my headset as a microphone or speaker option.

Works fine with GotoMeeting. Also, works fine with Skype the first time I use it after booting up. But it "forgets" the headset if I go back later.

Message 8 of 18 (30,843 Views)
Casual Tourist

This worked like a charm. Thank you so much.

Message 9 of 18 (30,448 Views)
Casual Tourist

It did not work for me

Message 10 of 18 (26,463 Views)
Discussion Stats