By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Running two Skype accounts on Windows 8

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Adventurer

Is there a way that I can run two Skype accounts on Windows 8 using the desktop and not Metro?  I know you could on previous Windows OS but not sure if or how I can do it now.

Message 1 of 15 (44,938 Views)
14 Replies
Community Ambassador

The procedure for the desktop version on Windows 8 is exactly the same as in the case of Windows 7. You should make a new shortcut with the "/secondary" switch.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA829/how-can-i-run-two-skype-accounts-on-the-same-computer

Message 2 of 15 (44,920 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Thanks for the response. I've done that and I tried both options.  Neither of which worked unfortunately.  Is there anything else that could be done?  Or is maybe something posted there incorrect?

Message 3 of 15 (44,908 Views)
Community Ambassador

What is exactly the path you have entered in the Target field of the secondary shortcut?

Message 4 of 15 (44,902 Views)
Novel Adventurer

The link that you posted above shows two different target paths.  I did the first one it didn't work and then I tried the second one and had no success either.

Message 5 of 15 (44,895 Views)
Community Ambassador

You still have not posted what you have entered in the Target field, but the correct syntax is:

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe"  /secondary  (if your Windows is 32-bit)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe"  /secondary  (if your Windows is 64-bit)

Remember an empty space in front of the /secondary switch!!

Message 6 of 15 (44,885 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Hey thanks for your patience.  I had accidentally skipped over something, but everything is good now.  Thanks again.

Message 7 of 15 (44,877 Views)
Novel Tourist

You should install desktop version of skype. Check this video. I have managed to run one skype account in standard windows 8 app, and another account with desktop app. Pretty sure you can even run three of them creating a shortcut with /secondary switch.

Message 8 of 15 (43,894 Views)
Novel Tourist

The solution is simple... Simply download the old desktop version and carry on as normal. Skype and Microsoft seem to have completely come off the rails on this one.

I've gone back to the old version and I'm very happy....

Message 9 of 15 (40,749 Views)
Novel Tourist

Hi friend!

Its too simple please follow the below steps to open two skypes on Windows8. I use two skypes on my system by usin the below method.

Open your first Skype in a normal way(by double click or by Right click>open), Then to open another skype press the shift key by keeping it pressed right click on skype icon and click "Run as Adminstrator", this will open another skype on your system. Make sure you can't log in with same ID on both Skypes.

Thanks

Discussion Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 10 in conversation