By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

How do I get rid of the advertisement on top of my skype chats?

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Casual Adventurer

I have a few suggestions to make the ad less... obnoxious... in the event they absolutely cannot fathom to avoid having such an intrusive idea removed:

• Fill the containing area around the ad with a similar shade of blue (I used a slightly paler blue to show difference between the ad itself and the containing area)
  • Make the add shorter; this makes it line up with the user's name at the top of the contact pannel. you remedy the lack of space to put additional text (why is there so much?) by making the ad a bit wider.
  • Have the ad float in the middle as it currently does, but have the containing area scale up or down with the window, this keeps that very ugly used-bandaid-floating-in-the-empty-pool feel.

I think the most jarring problem was the size and positioning of the ad. Every other time, all of the parts of the UI lined up between the contact area and the conversation area, and the entire thing felt balanced and evenly distributed. This ad makes doing this with the full contact details opened impossible, but if you close the contact details to just be a contact name, then it IS possible to acheive the same balanced feel. It is just unfortunate that I have to choose between my contact details, or a really uncomfortable design.

Ideally, the ad would be signifigantly smaller and under the contact list as a button, rather than an ad, and maybe a link under the conversation window on the far right hand side... that would be much nicer looking, like having a part of the UI built for charging credits, rather than an advertisement in skype, advertising skype... which looks rather gaudy.

Novel Tourist

It's awful isn't it. When I recently upgraded Skype, up came these adverts. I cannot fget rid of them. I'm not interested in seeing them every time I open Skype and every time I open a new chat window. I wasn't interested in the content of this advert the first time I saw it. I do not need or want to see it again and again. It is infuriating. Why is there no option for turning these adverts off? What sort of importunate, unthinking person believed this was a good idea? I will never click on unsolicited adverts. Never. They are just there...immovably...making a portion of my screen redundant.

Skype, get rid of them at once, please.

Casual Tourist

Calling the countrys with this ad crap "blessed" is ignorant. We should have the option to disable them regardless of account standings. My main account which I do all my work from I have had since 2003 and I have never had problems with ads until recently.

And telling people to remove Skype and download a not so update date version is not an answer, the answer should be the removal of this horrid eye sores in a form of a toggle setting in options.

Because honestly these current answers and suggestions are very poor customer service.

Community Ambassador

BTHRZeroX wrote:

Calling the countrys with this ad crap "blessed" is ignorant. We should have the option to disable them regardless of account standings. My main account which I do all my work from I have had since 2003 and I have never had problems with ads until recently.

And telling people to remove Skype and download a not so update date version is not an answer, the answer should be the removal of this horrid eye sores in a form of a toggle setting in options.

Because honestly these current answers and suggestions are very poor customer service.

If you want to get any answer on this issue from Skype Customer Service, then please contact Skype customer service.

This is User-to-User forum and has nothing to do with Skype Customer Service.

Novel Adventurer

I wasn't going to say anything on this front at first, but I feel I need to speak up now.

I first noticed these new adverts a couple of months ago when my paid subscription ran out. I first installed an older version and and didn't have any problems for about a week, then it auto-updated and installed the new version with the IM window adverts again. I removed that version and re-installed the older one, this time making sure to disable auto-updates. Again, it was fine for about another week, but then it auo-updated anyway even though I was sure I had that feature disabled.

So I removed the newest version again, and installed a much older version. It worked fine for about a day, and this morning I found the new version installed yet again, even though I made sure that auto-updates AND Windows update were turned off. Now on top of all that, I find that not just a few, but ALL of the older versions of the Skype client have suddenly disappeared from the websites where I'd found them.

This is beyond ridiculous.

Here's a hint to anybody who may actually be listening and possibly may even care: I've had a paid account in the past, and if I felt the service was worth what I'd been paying for it, I would STILL BE PAYING FOR IT.

Novel Adventurer

The question was about how to GET RID OF IT not what is it about ? 

Experienced Adventurer

and the latest version's got a new trick.. ram hog!

I've noticed since 6.14 installed that skype's memory usage has grown excessive, ending its first 6.14 run at 509mb of my system memory..no program has any business under typical usage conditions getting that high..unless its a game or something.

Highlighted
Novel Tourist

I found this out after I was looking around the forums about the white tabs that were there before, and I'm gonna quote what I found to work.

Found an easy solution to this issue.

Nitrous's quote,

"0) Exit Skype

1) Open Internet Explorer

2) Open Internet Options

3) Go to Security and select Restricted sites

4) Click Sites

5) Add https://apps.skype.com/, click OK

6) Go to General, click Delete, and click Delete again

7) Open Skype, the blank space should be gone and there will be no ads

I don't know what the implications are and whether there any issues with other skype apps, but so far this is the only possible solution that I can think of."

It worked for me and it eliminated the ads.

Novel Tourist

This actually works! 
Thank you very much! :bigsmile:

Novel Tourist

You are awesome, thanks for the good fix (add https://apps.skype.com to restricted sites) worked fine for me.