By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

How can I put a Skype icon on my desktop?

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Tourist

How can I put an icon onto the desktop so I can just click and get onto Skype.  Everytime I get on Skype it asks me to download Skype.  It is already downloaded.  I need help.

Message 1 of 9 (14,295 Views)
8 Replies
Esteemed Adventurer

assuming your using Win 7 or older "i never tried Win 8 yet" you just need to go to your start menue, all programs and find the skype folder and then find the skype icon inside that folder, now from here you have 2 options, just right click on the icon and you will see a "send to" option, hover your mouse over it and it will open options, one will be Desktop (create shortcut) and it will do it for you, or you can just simply hold down your right mouse button over the skype icon and drag it onto your desktop, once you release the button options will pop up, one being create desktop short cut

that should do it

If your using Win 8 then someone with that system will have to respond

Message 2 of 9 (14,283 Views)
Novel Tourist

In order to create a shortcut of Skype on Windows 8. right click your mouse on the desktop, put your mouse on New, then put your mouse on Shortcute and double click. When the window comes up put C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "" "skype:" in the box.

Message 3 of 9 (12,064 Views)
Novel Adventurer

pappap14 wrote:

In order to create a shortcut of Skype on Windows 8. right click your mouse on the desktop, put your mouse on New, then put your mouse on Shortcute and double click. When the window comes up put C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "" "skype:" in the box.

I tried that and a message said that no such file can be found. Is that exactally what I am supposed to type?

Message 4 of 9 (11,650 Views)
Community Ambassador

33771144 wrote:

pappap14 wrote:

I tried that and a message said that no such file can be found. Is that exactally what I am supposed to type?

Is your Windows 32-bit or 64-bit?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Message 5 of 9 (11,646 Views)
Novel Adventurer

ruwim wrote:

33771144 wrote:

pappap14 wrote:

Is your Windows 32-bit or 64-bit?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

windows 64-bit

Message 6 of 9 (11,635 Views)
Community Ambassador

One of the links in the attached SkypeStartLinks.zip file should work.  All links use the default Skype install/system path.  You would place one of these on your desktop:

Modern Skype.lnk -  Launching 32/64/App Skype by command line

Skype (32).lnk - Launching Skype on a 32-bit OS.

Skype (64).lnk - Launching Skype on a 64-bit OS.

Feel free to rename the links to whatever name you like.

Message 7 of 9 (11,628 Views)
Novel Adventurer

techfreak wrote:

One of the links in the attached SkypeStartLinks.zip file should work.  All links use the default Skype install/system path.  You would place one of these on your desktop:

Modern Skype.lnk -  Launching 32/64/App Skype by command line

Skype (32).lnk - Launching Skype on a 32-bit OS.

Skype (64).lnk - Launching Skype on a 64-bit OS.

Feel free to rename the links to whatever name you like.

techfreak, Thanks, it worked!

Message 8 of 9 (11,621 Views)
Novel Adventurer

i refreshed my laptop and lost my icon on desktop how do i get it back

Message 9 of 9 (10,971 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 7 in conversation