By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Can't call as I have no video

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Tourist

When I try to call one of my key contacts this is what happens: I double click on that contact. The secondary SKYPE window opens and offers "Video call" and "Call Phone". When I click on "Video Call" I get the message "you can't make a video call because SKYPE can't find a video camera on your PC" (or words to that effect). Of course SKYPE can't detect a video camera because I don't have one When I click on the "Call Phone" option, SKYPE tells me that I can't make that call either because I don't have money in my account. So why does it not offer me the simple "Call" option?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Message 1 of 7 (5,058 Views)
6 Replies
Super Adventurer

you can receive video from the other end if you don't have a webcam -- just start an audio-only call first and then wait for the other end to start their video -- if you haven't done so already, ensure that the option to receive video automatically is enabled (see Tools|Options|Video settings --> Automatically receive video and share screens with...)

if you want to make a free Skype-to-Skype call with a contact, ensure that you are calling their Skype Name (not their landline/mobile number) by clicking on the dropdown arrow to the right of the Call button

Regards,
Neil
Message 2 of 7 (5,050 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Nell,

thanks for helping ....but: As I said, there is no "Call" button. Only a "Video Call" and a "Call Phone" button. There is no "pull-down" for other options on either of those two buttons. In short, there must be some other way to convince SKYPE that I really have no video cam, nor do I have an account. All I want to do is "Call" (SKYPE to SKYPE).

And "yes, I know" that I can receive calls from contacts with and without video cams. But I can't call them.

...thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Tahunga

Message 3 of 7 (5,030 Views)
Super Adventurer
please post a screenshot that shows the issue
Regards,
Neil
Message 4 of 7 (4,977 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Ok I think you need a camera to do Video call which sucks. But I think you can message your friends on skype i don't know if you can  do a phonecall with or with out a camera but i wish you can skype without a camera.:catfrustrated:

Moderator Note: Attachment irrelevant to post; removed.

Message 5 of 7 (3,620 Views)
Super Adventurer

Friendlyals wrote:

Ok I think you need a camera to do Video call which sucks. But I think you can message your friends on skype i don't know if you can  do a phonecall with or with out a camera but i wish you can skype without a camera

you don't need a camera to receive video, but obviously you do need one to send video

Audio-only calls do no require a camera on either end

Regards,
Neil
Message 6 of 7 (3,614 Views)
Novel Tourist

OK, so missing the point here...  if you want to make a "voice call" instead of a video call, then click on the little down arrow on the green "call mobile" button for more call options. A menu of options displays. Click on the "Call Skype" option and the 'call mobile' icon changes to "call". Click on "Call" to initiate a voicecall.

Message 7 of 7 (2,865 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation