By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Can't Change Profile Picture/Icon

SOLVED
Go to Solution
This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Casual Adventurer

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, so I apologize if I put it in the wrong area.

I recently (3-4 weeks ago, tops) downloaded the latest version of skype. Since then, I have been unable to change my profile picture, an issue I did not have before. When I click on "Change Your Picture..." or my profile picture to change it, the regular menu comes up, and I can browse and select a picture. However, the second I click on a picture to select it, skype cuts out (if I'm in a call), gets laggy, comes back for the briefest of moments, and then crashes. My icon is not changed when I get back on.

It's gotten to be a terrible hassle, and reinstalling skype does not fix the issue. Help?

Message 1 of 60 (25,009 Views)
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Ambassador
Solution
Accepted as a solution by Broski1984
‎28-08-2015 11:00

The only what I can say based on the error message that there might be a conflict between Skype and one of the system drivers, maybe graphic card. You can try to update your Skype to the latest version, either 5.5.0.124 or 5.6.0.110. See this:

blogs.skype.com/garage/windows/

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 60 (8,490 Views)
59 Replies
Community Ambassador
Have you tried to change profile picture without being on a call?
Message 2 of 60 (24,905 Views)
Casual Adventurer

@Ruwim:

I have, and it still crashes.

Message 3 of 60 (24,900 Views)
Community Ambassador
Have you tried with different pictures? I’m just guessing. Maybe the picture file is corrupted, too big or of a wrong format. I think that Skype supports .jpg and .png. Honestly speaking, don’t know if other formats are supported too.
Message 4 of 60 (24,894 Views)
Casual Adventurer

@Ruwim
I've tried several different pictures, each one about 150x150, all of them PNG and JPG. They work in other programs, just not on skype. 

Message 5 of 60 (24,890 Views)
Casual Adventurer

bump

Message 6 of 60 (24,877 Views)
Community Ambassador
Maybe something is wrong with your local Skype settings. Quit Skype. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%\skype, press Enter or OK button. Locate the folder with the name of your Skype user account. Rename this folder to something different. Restart Skype.
Message 7 of 60 (24,872 Views)
Casual Adventurer

I just tried that, and, alas, it did not work. I have managed to change my skype picture, however, although I am now stuck with it and it continues to crash when I try to fix it. There is no improvement, as my icon is now stuck as a bird.

Message 8 of 60 (24,866 Views)
Community Ambassador
Maybe you should look in Windows Event Viewer for error messages explaining the reason for crash. What Windows version are you on?
Message 9 of 60 (24,855 Views)
Casual Adventurer

This is the message for it:

Faulting application Skype.exe, version 5.5.0.119, time stamp 0x4e803bca, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 6.0.6002.18449, time stamp 0x4da47967, exception code 0xc00000fd, fault offset 0x0003fc56, process id 0x1d6c, application start time 0x01cc965e9a281ceb.

I am using Vista.

Message 10 of 60 (18,928 Views)
Discussion Stats