By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

CLI commands

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Adventurer

Is there a complete list of commands with descriptions for Skype to be used via command-line interface? I thought these would be in skype-it-administrators-guide.pdf but this important information is apparently absent on all help pages.

8 Replies
Novel Adventurer

Where can I find any commands that I can use in a batch file? E.g. to give skype.exe the login data to sign in automatically?

Message 2 of 9 (28,065 Views)
Community Ambassador

The official Skype FAQ provides a list of only few command line options,

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA171/Can-I-run-Skype-for-Windows-from-the-command-line

The list is not only incomplete, but the shown example is even wrong. The correct syntax is:

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe” /shutdown

and not

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe /shutdown"

Some other, less “official” command line parameters are:

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /username:your user name /password:your password

This will start Skype with the specified account name and password.

"path to skype.exe\Skype.exe" /datapath:”Data” /removable

This will start a “portable” Skype installed at “path to skype.exe” with all data being saved in the “Data” folder.

Message 3 of 9 (28,063 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Thank you very much! The switches for signing in will do for now. I searched for command line switches but unfortunately didn't find the topic you mention and had to create this.
If I need more, there must be a topic at forum.ru-board.com for Russian-speakers. Hundreds of tools are covered there, and usually the topics have the "header" with lots of necessary information, so you don't have to look for it, a feature that I haven't seen elsewhere.

Message 4 of 9 (28,054 Views)
Novel Tourist

You can run another skype instance and login as a different user, using annother skype ID at the same time wiht below command line command.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe /secondary

Message 5 of 9 (19,156 Views)
Casual Tourist

What are the parameters to sign in using a Microsoft Account. The syntax doesn't appear to work for them.

Works great using Skype names.

Message 6 of 9 (18,825 Views)
Community Ambassador

If you have in mind this type of shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /username:your user name /password:your password

then this indeed works only with Skype names. There is no corresponding type for Microsoft accounts.

Message 7 of 9 (18,807 Views)
Casual Adventurer

I just obtained a Dell Venue Pro 8 running Windows 8 32 bit.  I have installed the newest version 6.16 of Skype. On all my other machines the "/shutdown" closes out Skype but I cannot get it to work on this device. Any ideas?

Message 8 of 9 (14,430 Views)
Experienced Adventurer

This is so unbelievably annoying... 

I ahve a work skype and want to keep separate from my other hotmail skypes... I used to be able to use a 3rd party product trillian for my personal ones, now that no longer works. 

I need to be able to have 4 accoutns active at once and 3 of which are microsoft accounts!!!! and I can't do this at a command line? WTF!   I've tried runas and other options to no avail I do NOT want to have to manually select, Ms or skype type in my 4 usersnames and passwords every day.!!!

Message 9 of 9 (10,217 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation