By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Login Skype with hotmail account

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Tourist

Hello sir,

I have nokia lumia (windows phone 7.5) and I can not connect to my skype account (it even connected to my hotmail account).
I connect to skype with my hotmail address: *edited for privacy*to website 
but I can not login with my account indicated on skype: live:john.smith to windows phone
Using the same password hotmail.

The problem is it password or login?
What should I do?

Message 1 of 32 (104,025 Views)
31 Replies
Novel Adventurer

I have exactly the same problem. Tried all combinations of my live id (with prefix live:, with and without outlook.com) and live password, but to no avail.

What is more, I tried to get my skype password changed or my username reminded, however on both tries i got the following message:

Sorry that password token is not recognized, please try entering it again or get another password token.

Message 2 of 32 (103,989 Views)
Staff Moderator

You can only sign in to Skype with a Microsoft Account on clients that support that, such as Windows 8. On other clients (such as Windows Phone), you can continue to sign in with your previous Skype name.

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Message 3 of 32 (103,978 Views)
Novel Adventurer

That's ridiculous! I wanted to delete my old skype account which I have not used for a years and wanted to start again from zero with my MSAccount.

But there's a lot of problem with that. You can't sign in either to your WindowsPhone app or even to the Skype forum (this site) with MSAccount...

This integration in this state is more annoying than usefull.. :-/

Hope that you fix that soon

Message 4 of 32 (103,864 Views)
Staff Moderator

I'm sorry if this has been confusing for you and has caused you problems. The options are basically as follows:

1. New Skype users: create a completely new account using Microsoft Account (MSA). You will not be able to sign in to clients that do not support MSA with this account.
  2.  Existing Skype user: associate your existing Skype account with your MSA. You will be able to sign in to clients that do not support MSA using your existing Skype account.
  3. Existing Skype user: keep your existing Skype account and create a new account using your MSA. You will be able to sign in to clients that do not support MSA with your previous Skype account, and MSA-supported clients with your MSA.

I'm not sure of the plans for the website team, but I suspect that MSA support will be added to the website and forums in time.

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Message 5 of 32 (103,848 Views)
Novel Tourist

Arent the meaning that Skype are going to replace messenger? I wanted to use Skype as an alternative, but hell no if I cant use my old hotmailaccountall my contacts with on my computer. Sorry, Microsoft. Here you are going to LOOSE!!!

Message 6 of 32 (101,458 Views)
Staff Moderator

anders1 wrote:

Arent the meaning that Skype are going to replace messenger? I wanted to use Skype as an alternative, but hell no if I cant use my old hotmailaccountall my contacts with on my computer. Sorry, Microsoft. Here you are going to LOOSE!!!

You can continue to contact the contacts you have with your existing Hotmail account (called Microsoft Account now) on any client that supports Microsft Account authentication. The additional benefit is that if you already have a Skype account, you can merge your Hotmail account with your Hotmail account and see both sets of contacts at the same time.

Message 7 of 32 (101,410 Views)
Novel Tourist

Then how does it work?  I tried to set up the skype account for my hotmail account and yet there's no contacts there.  What is the point if I lose all of my contacts?  I would rather stick with hotmail and not screw around with skype.

Message 8 of 32 (93,073 Views)
Staff Moderator

You should merge your existing Skype account with your Microsoft Account (MSA); this will bring both sets of contacts together in one place. If you use an MSA that is not merged with a Skype account, then you will only be able to see your Messenger contacts in Skype.

We have a number of guides and FAQs about Microsoft Account on our support site here: https://support.skype.com/en/search?q=microsoft+account

Hope this helps

Message 9 of 32 (93,051 Views)
Staff Moderator

You should merge your existing Skype account with your Microsoft Account (MSA); this will bring both sets of contacts together in one place. If you use an MSA that is not merged with a Skype account, then you will only be able to see your Messenger contacts in Skype.

We have a number of guides and FAQs about Microsoft Account on our support site here: https://support.skype.com/en/search?q=microsoft+account

Hope this helps

Message 10 of 32 (93,051 Views)
Discussion Stats