By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Messaging Hub to integrate Skype chat

For all of my Windows Phone friends, the Messaging Hub is one of the best features of the OS.

It's clear and simple to use. The fact that it integrates Messenger, text and Facebook chat is an amazing feature.

It's literally the one stop place for all messaging and it's an extremely useful and valuable feature.

One problem is that Skype messages don't appear here, instead they go to a separate app.

It makes sense to include Skype to the Messaging Hub.

Looking at the Messaging Hub and Skype app side by side, the layout and how you actually view messages is so much clearer on the Messaging Hub.

It's actually pointless having chat on the Skype app, and annoying that it's not integrated.
  • Contacts
  • Instant Messaging
  • Phone Integration
37 Comments
Reliable Adventurer

it could be great, BUT... IF it is gonna flood my phone with chats from my computer or tablet, forget about it

Tourist
waaan idin salaamayaa
Reliable Adventurer

just do it already, that would be an excellent solution for that constant white background on the skype app

bgabrielson
Casual Tourist

I think Skype should mimic what Hangouts does on Android. You should have the option to replace the stock messaging app with Skype and the Skype app should be able to send messages via your phone's SMS/MMS, Skype SMS and Skype IM/Video/Voice Message. Skype should also be able to replace the stock dialer, allowing you to call from the phone's number or your Skype number and integrate with your contacts for both. 

I prefer the UI for both the stock messaging and dialer apps in WP8 over Skype, but Skype's UI can be Metroified. There might be a case to make Skype IM integrated into the messaging hub as well so people have choice, but it seems like MS is moving away from the hub concept. 

As an aside, I see no reason why Skype doesn't do EXACTLY what Hangouts does on Android in their own Android app. Plenty of Andoid + Skype users would probably love to replace their stock messaging app with Skype if it were an option. 

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

The Skype Integrated apps that are part of Windows 10 Mobile now surface Skype contacts and offer Skype messaging right from the people list. You can learn more about Windows 10 here: www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows

Bopi
Tourist
Loving the Skype integration with text messaging, however text messaging isn't enabled on the PC/desktop app... When is this coming?
Xenrick
Tourist

We should be able to send a Skype message directly from the Windows 10 People app and it than it automatically opens the Messaging Hub.