By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Transfer conversation history to another computer

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Tourist

I would like to transfer a conversation history from one computer to another.

The other persons account has been deactivated because he died, so he is no longer an active contact.  But I still find a great deal of comfort in reading through our conversations.

I there a way I can transfer the conversation history to my new computer?

Message 1 of 7 (2,237 Views)
6 Replies
Community Ambassador

If you want see the whole conversation history on Skype installed on another PC then you must do the following. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%\skype and press Enter or the OK button. This will open a window with a Skype folder. Within this folder locate a subfolder with name corresponding to your Skype name. Open this folder. You will find there a file with name main.db. It may have just have a name “main” if your PC is setup to not show extensions for known file types but you will still see description “Data Base File” in the Type column. Copy this main.db file to any removable storage, like e.g. an USB flash drive or CD and transfer it to the corresponding folder on your other PC. You will now be able to see the whole call history from the old Skype installation on the new installation.

Message 2 of 7 (2,233 Views)
Novel Adventurer

I copied the main.db portable drive, then pasted into Skype location in my new computer.  When I open Skype, I see only my contacts, but none of my conversation history.  Note:  In my old PC, it shows as "main.db"; but in the portable drive, it shows only as "main."  Also, if I copy/replace the ported "main" to "main" in my new PC, it appears as a corrupted file.

Message 3 of 7 (1,514 Views)
Community Ambassador

barryr121 wrote:

I copied the main.db portable drive, then pasted into Skype location in my new computer.  When I open Skype, I see only my contacts, but none of my conversation history.  Note:  In my old PC, it shows as "main.db"; but in the portable drive, it shows only as "main."  Also, if I copy/replace the ported "main" to "main" in my new PC, it appears as a corrupted file.

Was the Skype accont (Skype name) exactly the same on the old and the new PC?

You can make use of this free application - SkypeLogView, to view the chats saved on the main.db file from the portable drive.

nirsoft.net/utils/skype_log_view.html
Message 4 of 7 (1,511 Views)
Novel Adventurer

It was copy/pasted into the same name on the 2nd computer that it came from on the 1st computer.  I don't want an external log-tool, I just want to copy/paste my conversation history into my new computer.

Message 5 of 7 (1,508 Views)
Community Ambassador

SkypeLogView may show if the main.db file which you are trying to copy contains the chats or is corrupted.

Message 6 of 7 (1,505 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Hi guys,

I've used this kind of app http://transferskypehistory.com/. It solves the problem of moving chat history from one PC to another and doesn't allow to lose it.

Message 7 of 7 (13 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation