By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Skype Community has moved

You can find the new Skype Community here. For more information please read this post.

Skype on Samsung Smart TV Discontinued - 2 June 2016

SOLVED
Go to solution
Reliable Adventurer

Yep, I think there was an element of they didnt want small businesses video conferencing for free.

Looking forward to a solution, whatever the app.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 1831 of 1,846
Novel Tourist

Hi All,

I have skimmed the threads and I have solved the SKYPE issue for my UE55HU8500 so thought I would share my experience since I am not too technical.

My TV is the European version and here is what I did.

1. Establish what firmware you have - Go into menu - Go to Support - Select Contact Samsung and it will display firmare

2. Dowload the correct software based on your firmware from: https://forum.samygo.tv/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=10374&start=220

3. Format a blank USB to fat32.

4. Unzip the download to the USB

5. On your TV disable all auto updates e.g. SmartHub auto update to prevent automatic removal of the software

6. You need to enter developer mode. You can google how but basically go to the menu. Go the smarthub > Go to account > log in with user=develop with no password.

7. Go to the smart hub apps.

8. No need to go to featured apps or categories, simply plug in the USB.

9. A skype icon should appear and click install and hey presto. It works.

10. Remove the USB and you are done.

Hope that helps.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 1832 of 1,846
Casual Adventurer

Hi has anyone found out how to hack Tizen os for Samsung to get Skype back? I read some forum that it can be done. Any help most useful.

If not, you intelligent people figure out how to get it back, this is for J series. It was there before Skype discontinued it the app. There has to be an app floating around out there that was created for this series?

Flag for a Moderator
Message 1833 of 1,846
Casual Adventurer

Hi, any word on when the manufacturer had said the Skype app was coming back soon? It's been months since this post any update? As I have not heard myself from the manufacturer that the application would be coming back to Samsung in relation to previous post on 06-09-2016 9:06.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 1834 of 1,846
Casual Adventurer

Blocking msecnd.net  &  samsungotn.net  Domains in your router are no longer blocking Firmware Updates to your TV (in Australia anyway) ) 

and wanted to know if you found out any new info on blocking the updates.

My Samsung Tv shows a message about an available update and I wondered if I make the update, can I reinstall the reprogrammed skype version which was given here and will it function or will it be erased each time I start smart hub?!

Flag for a Moderator
Message 1835 of 1,846
Casual Adventurer

Flag for a Moderator
Message 1836 of 1,846
Routine Adventurer

2soft2crack wrote:

Blocking msecnd.net  &  samsungotn.net  Domains in your router are no longer blocking Firmware Updates to your TV (in Australia anyway) ) 

and wanted to know if you found out any new info on blocking the updates.

My Samsung Tv shows a message about an available update and I wondered if I make the update, can I reinstall the reprogrammed skype version which was given here and will it function or will it be erased each time I start smart hub?!

I am not a technical genius but I think you are correct in believing that by allowing that new update to be installed will probably erase Skype each time it finds it. Do you have control in allowing the update to be installed or denied?
I would like to know if there is a way how we can find out these domains which try to put things onto or remove from OUR televisions! Maybe there is a program or app which could alert us and give details of the "invading" source? Surely in whatever country we are located there must be legal process / control of what content is coming onto our TV's.. i.e. "adult" channel blocking, violence, language, etc. And because of that why can't we have a say on which apps are installed / removed from our TV's?

?!

I

Flag for a Moderator
Message 1837 of 1,846
Casual Adventurer

I guess we need the new domains to block them in the router. It asks already since a couple of month if i want to install the update or not. So far I have not done it,but I wonder if it will have any affects on the tv functions if the update is left out!?

Flag for a Moderator
Message 1838 of 1,846
Routine Adventurer

2soft2crack wrote:

I guess we need the new domains to block them in the router. It asks already since a couple of month if i want to install the update or not. So far I have not done it,but I wonder if it will have any affects on the tv functions if the update is left out!?

Yes, we really need the title / name of those domain names , can anyone help please?

If you can find out the version # of this new update, it might be an idea to ask :"Samsung TV tech" to what exactly this update is going to do or provide in way of a better service! I suspect they will reply "you must have it, it is best to keep the TV up-to date, or it could clean out some obsolete apps".

Anyway I am of the opinion the TV is working just fine now, I have still got my Skype and I pretty much want to remain that way. If you follow Samygo and the guys who have helped tremendously with this Skype issue, they STRONGLY state "do not perform / allow any updates!"

Flag for a Moderator
Message 1839 of 1,846
Novel Adventurer

please share the instruction link

Flag for a Moderator
Message 1840 of 1,846