By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Skype on Samsung Smart TV Discontinued - 2 June 2016

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Experienced Adventurer

Why has Microsoft/Skype decided to discontinue service on Samsung TV's?

See more topics labeled with:

Message 1 of 1,638 (140,976 Views)
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Casual Adventurer
Solution
Accepted as a solution by highlander73
‎15-04-2016 21:04

I hope that all people who are commenting here are also taking the opprtunity to sign the petition at

https://www.change.org/p/skype-keep-supporting-skype-tv

Another suggestion: 

Fill out Microsoft's Accessibility Feedback Survey at https://survey2.securestudies.com/wix/p283998968.aspx (it's only one page) and tell them about the effect abandoning Skype for TV would have on the technologically handicapped people of the world. 

View solution in original post

Message 1052 of 1,638 (94,257 Views)
Esteemed Adventurer
Solution
Accepted as a solution by highlander73
‎19-04-2016 03:15

I am really concerned that the blame is consistently being pushed to the TV manufacturers by M/Soft Skype by stating it is up to the manufacturers if they want to keep the 'working app available' on their products.  (Suggested Alternatives for Skype)

Yes I was a little harsh in my response there -and I do apologise for it as it is uncalled for; however - when talking about this it is quite clear from all the posts across this forum that SKYPE (no longer being technically supported) is starting to fail.   As manufacturers upgrade their software, SKYPE becomes less compatible/stable and thus fails to operate as expected - and becomes useless.  In real terms - discontinued, unsupported both therefor have the same meaning. 

Samsung have done the right thing in informing their customer base, and HAVE informed their outlets - they removed the stand alone camera for this reason.  They are giving refunds for the camera.  Give them credit for this.  Other manufacturers seem to be just ignoring this in an apparent desire to 'make it go away'.  Some retailers are failing to pass on the information (claiming ignorance) likely to 'shift their current stock' (it's all about profits y'all).  Samsung are looking into alternatives to SKYPE but this will be a long drawn out process...  and likely the market will just move away as it is forced to abandon the failing SKYPE app before another solution is reached.

MICROSOFT have cleverly shifted the blame by saying the app is still available, despite it no longer being supported and that it is up to the TV Manufacturers as to whether or not they utilise it by the way they carefully worded their press release.   Despite that no manufacturer in their right mind would supply software that will fail, lose compatibility with their upgrades and possibly leave it open to HACKING...  so their hands are forced, yet they get the blame.  *Hence why I say that Samsung are doing the right thing early on.

I have no qualms in saying Microsoft are morally wrong - but business wise they are being quite astute and moving the market towards their other products and software which they want to build on (UWP), and at the same time corner whatever they can in the market.

The surveys and petitions so far have been so small in their take up that they are 'insignificant' in the bigger picture for Microsoft who will thus suffer little by ignoring them. (don't shout at me - DO THE PETITION(S) etc. if you want to make a difference).  The press and news forums are not really interested in the story - as there are far bigger things going on - elections of the president of USA, European votes on whether UK is in or out... Wars (which are all saddening no matter the reasons), terror attacks from people who have misguided methods of brutality to gain control over people and lands (not something I want to debate over really)... so this 'story' is going under their radar.  Microsoft like to blame Samsung for withdrawing it as they say it is still available (albeit not supported) and the press gobble up the Microsoft media machines carefully worded press releases without question...  Hence my thoughts on it being quite astute of Microsoft in their methodology (Whether or not you agree with them morally).

Want to change all this - DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT - don't just grumble on this forum about how much you spent (wasted) on equipment, or how it will affect you communication abilities with family who live far away - SIGN THE PETITIONS, get it talked about on all your media outlets that you use... keep doing this - it is a case of PUT UP or SHUT UP.

FILL IN THE Microsoft Accessibility Survey (IT'S QUICK) ... https://survey2.securestudies.com/wix/p283998968.a​spx

SIGN THE PETITION ... https://www.change.org/p/skype-keep-supporting-sky​pe-tv?recruiter=44221813&utm_source=share_petitio...

View solution in original post

1,637 Replies
Casual Tourist
Skype is one of best APP on my smart TV. Why? Give the reasons for it!
Message 2 of 1,638 (140,962 Views)
Experienced Adventurer

This was the notification I received on my TV tonight. It suggested I contact Skype for further clarification.

Message 3 of 1,638 (140,953 Views)
Casual Tourist
I will return my TV if is not skype anymore. Are you crazy? Why you doing this? If we have to pay for it let it be, but don't remove it from Samsung Tvs
Message 4 of 1,638 (140,896 Views)
Casual Adventurer

My Samsung TV just notified me that from June 2nd Skype will no longer be available.

How is that possible . We need Skype available on Smart TV, how can you let down your users like that???

You must keep the app, I dont care if you stop supporting or stop the updated !

Message 5 of 1,638 (137,370 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Just got notified of the end of the Skype application service today. I recently purchased a Samsung TV Camera - specifically designed for use with Skype on my Samsung HD TV.

I have family that I Skype with regularly and the end of the service will make it impossible to communicate.

The ability to use Skype with my Samsung TV was a selling feature for me. I have to ask WHY this is being discontinued.

I wonder if I should have purchased a Sony or LG, as family members using Skype on their TV's have not been notified that they will loose this feature.

Feeling ripped off...

Brett

Message 6 of 1,638 (140,872 Views)
Tourist
Hopefully that will be only change of mark. Skype has been sold to Microsoft and I think they're planning to change name of the product. Hopefully...
Message 7 of 1,638 (140,844 Views)
Casual Adventurer

I am sure they are asking huge licensing fee from Samsung.

Mod Edit: Edited post to comply with the Skype Community Guidelines

Message 8 of 1,638 (140,775 Views)
Novel Tourist

Just got notified of the end of the Skype application service today. I recently purchased a Nano technolgy Samsung TV and Camera  for skpe- 

I have family that I Skype with regularly and the end of the service will make it impossible to communicate.

The ability to use Skype with my Samsung TV was a selling feature for me. I have to ask WHY this is being discontinued.

Please reply me ASAP  as I spend over £1500

Nadeem

Message 9 of 1,638 (140,694 Views)
Casual Tourist
Someone has to fix this it's a smart tv whit no skype ridiculous to buy one now I want my money back this smart tv should be name dumb tv
Message 10 of 1,638 (140,609 Views)