By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Skype ending on Samsung TV - Class Action

Routine Adventurer
How can class action be started against Microsoft and/or Samsung for discontinuing this service?

Is anybody out there a lawyer?

At a minimum the service should continue for existing users who paid for this feature otherwise a full refund should be given!

I paid a lot of money for a Samsung Smart TV and a camera specifically for Skype. I moved overseas and use it for keeping in contact with family and friends back home, it is the only way they can see our family (2 small children) here. I now have to tell my kids they can't see and talk to Grandma and Grandpa anymore because Micro$oft and Samsung have discontinued the service.
Flag for a Moderator
Message 1 of 104
103 Replies
Casual Adventurer

I want to say this isn't Samsung's doing but is Skype stopping making their app for Samsung.  But I am reminded of when we brought our tv a few months ago the shop we bourght it from, the lady that served us said Samsung are removing Skype in a few months.  The annoying thing there was we contacted Samsung and were told this was not true, and they have no plans to discontinue it.  Legally if this is true they've broke the law so will be using that conversation to further a fight for a refund from them because their tv's are crap with compatiability with different file formats, only got it for skype

Flag for a Moderator
Message 2 of 104
Routine Adventurer
I don't understand why the current app which functions perfectly will no longer work. As i said current owners/users should be supported. Is it because Skype.tv doesn't have advertising revenue?
Flag for a Moderator
Message 3 of 104
Routine Adventurer
This is like buying a car and 1 yr later the manufacturer says you can no longer use your car because we're discontinuing the engine in your car.

Why is it always the consumer who loses out while big business continues to make huge amounts of money and change the terms of use as they see fit?
Flag for a Moderator
Message 4 of 104
Routine Adventurer
Just had a chat with Samsung support who said that the problem is from Skype who are putting up a new version but for mobiles and PC, the might look into tv in a later version. I wonder why nobody from Skype support is giving their views
Flag for a Moderator
Message 5 of 104
Tourist

One of the main reason I bought the TV and camera is Chat with my family.....they also bought Samsung TV so we can chat without using Laptops and tablets. 

This is really shame skype I hope skype is listening 

Flag for a Moderator
Message 6 of 104
Casual Adventurer

Same here.  I bought the TV so when my brother moved to Australia, i could still chat with him.

I think the problem here is Microsoft.  They bought Skype and now its there way....or no way!  I hope Bill Gates is happy now!!

Flag for a Moderator
Message 7 of 104
Novel Adventurer
Absolutely disgusting that is taking being pulled, I brought the tv and camera do that the kids could keep in contact with the grandparents, where do stand now with skyping ?
Flag for a Moderator
Message 8 of 104
Novel Adventurer
How do I obtain a refund for a wasted amount of money?
Flag for a Moderator
Message 9 of 104
Experienced Adventurer

I ask all Skype Community members, and Samsung Smart TV owners to demand more. Microsoft will not listen to our still small global mix of members. But how do we get the word out?

Find your favorite tech news outlet; the bigger the better. Contact the news desks of Wired. Contact C|net. Contact them all. Point them to this page. If you have documents or emails from Skype or Samsung, pass them on. Once the word gets out on a global scale, we'll see how many people are really put off by this move.

If companies think they can string us along until them get our money, and be done with us, they are wrong.

Spread the word.... facebook, twitter, news outlets.

Maybe this will force Skype to release the real usage numbers for Skype TV useage.

Frank

Flag for a Moderator
Message 10 of 104