By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Skype Community has moved

You can find the new Skype Community here. For more information please read this post.

Change language

SOLVED
Go to solution
Staff Moderator

horacijz asks: "how to change language in new skype for win10? How to make skype minimize, when X is clicked instead of closing?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
↓ Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others. Thanks! ↓
Flag for a Moderator
Message 1 of 7
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In Windows 10, we're trying to be consistent with other Windows Store apps wherever we can. In that spirit we chose not to have a language setting within Skype itself. Instead you can use the Region & Language Settings page to add the language you like. If you pick a language that we support, after a while the store will download the language pack. Next time you start Skype, the display language will be updated. This helps save disk space and bandwidth, since only the language packs you actually want are downloaded.

Similarly, the X always closes the window, same as most other apps. There's still a background process running however, so you still get toasts for any incoming messages. If you pin Skype to the taskbar, you also see a badge indicator when you have new unread messages. Thanks to the background process you can close the app while in a call, and the call will continue. If you have Windows 10 Creators Update and close the app while in a call, we show a call monitor window where you can see video and duration, mute or hang up the call.

Hope this helps,

Jesper

Flag for a Moderator
Message 2 of 7
6 Replies

In Windows 10, we're trying to be consistent with other Windows Store apps wherever we can. In that spirit we chose not to have a language setting within Skype itself. Instead you can use the Region & Language Settings page to add the language you like. If you pick a language that we support, after a while the store will download the language pack. Next time you start Skype, the display language will be updated. This helps save disk space and bandwidth, since only the language packs you actually want are downloaded.

Similarly, the X always closes the window, same as most other apps. There's still a background process running however, so you still get toasts for any incoming messages. If you pin Skype to the taskbar, you also see a badge indicator when you have new unread messages. Thanks to the background process you can close the app while in a call, and the call will continue. If you have Windows 10 Creators Update and close the app while in a call, we show a call monitor window where you can see video and duration, mute or hang up the call.

Hope this helps,

Jesper

Flag for a Moderator
Message 2 of 7
Novel Adventurer

Hello,

Could you let me know where to find the region and language settings? In "settings" in my Skype this is not possible to choose and I have no other toolbars available. The OS language and language for my Office pack in English, so I don't see why Skype insists on Norwegian all of a sudden.. (although am Norwegian and based here)

Best,
Jane

Flag for a Moderator
Message 3 of 7

I should have been clearer -- I was referring to the Region & Language settings in Windows itself. This panel here:

regionlanguage.png

Mine's set to English too so I see the app in English. If I switch to Swedish, after a while the Store will download the matching language pack. Next time I start the app, it'll be surströmming & smörgårdsbord all the way. 

Do you see English as your display language in this dialog?

Flag for a Moderator
Message 4 of 7
Novel Adventurer

Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Best - Jane

Flag for a Moderator
Message 5 of 7

i need to change my language. how?

Flag for a Moderator
Message 6 of 7
Highlighted

You can do it on that Windows Settings page I described above.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 7 of 7
Discussion Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation