is an online number the best way to go

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

is an online number the best way to go

I am in the US and my son is deployed in afghanistan.  If he wants to call us (he has an afghanistan to go phone) is the best way to get an online phone number from you (our house and mobile phones we have found to be cost prohibitive) and if so do I get a number that is in the area that we are in or do I sign up for an afghanistan number even though I live in California.  Pleae help as we are new to skype and we cant get through to him very often just using skype as the internet in his area is always down so we need some way to call him instead of just skyping him. 

tldeters
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 4 (196 Views)

Re: is an online number the best way to go

tldeters wrote:

I am in the US and my son is deployed in afghanistan.  If he wants to call us (he has an afghanistan to go phone) is the best way to get an online phone number from you (our house and mobile phones we have found to be cost prohibitive) and if so do I get a number that is in the area that we are in or do I sign up for an afghanistan number even though I live in California.  Pleae help as we are new to skype and we cant get through to him very often just using skype as the internet in his area is always down so we need some way to call him instead of just skyping him. 

If you are wanting to call him on his phone in Afghanistan, you could purchase Skype Credit to pay for those calls using Skype.  Those calls would cost 37 US cents/minute, plus a connection fee per call.  There are also subscriptions that cover the calling to telephones (landlines and mobiles) in Afghanistan.  These are not "unlimited" subscriptions, but cover calling up to 3 monthly allotments of minutes (60 minutes/month for US$ 17.49/month, 120 minutes/month for US$ 33.99/month, or 400 minutes/month for US$ 82.99/month).  Click on "Pay As You Go" and "Subscriptions" below to see more about those options.

Since you are wanting to reach him in Afghanistan, you'll have to look at these options to cover the costs of calling him.  When he is able to use the Internet, you obviously can have Skype-to-Skype calls for free.  Skype does not offer Online Numbers in Afghanistan.  Even if Skype had those numbers, your son would end up having to forward calls to his mobile phone over there if he was not logged into Skype, which would saddle him with those per-call or monthly subscription charges. There is probably no way to avoid the cost issues, unless all of you are able to make Skype-to-Skype calls when he has access to Internet. 

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 562
Message 2 of 4 (190 Views)

if we got an online number for the US through Skype could he call us on his mobile phone without being hooked up to skype as the internet is down so often he is not able to connect to skype and if so would there be a charge to us when he initiated the call besides the subscription cost we would have for get a phone number through you.
tldeters
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 4 (180 Views)

tldeters wrote:
if we got an online number for the US through Skype could he call us on his mobile phone without being hooked up to skype as the internet is down so often he is not able to connect to skype and if so would there be a charge to us when he initiated the call besides the subscription cost we would have for get a phone number through you.
If he is going to make an international call from his mobile phone in Afghanistan, you could get a Skype Online Number for him to call on - or he could just call you on an existing telephone number.  The cost of an international call to a US landline, mobile, or Skype Online Number (which are classified as "landline" numbers) would be the same for him.  A calling subscription would not help him when he is not on Skype and making calls on his mobile phone.  You would not be charged for his calls, whether he called you on your home phone, your mobile phone, or a Skype number in the US. (unless you use minutes on a mobile plan for receiving calls, which would be the case for any incoming calls).
Remember that subscriptions and Online Numbers are two different things.  You do not need a subscription to receive calls on an Online Number with Skype.  You only need a subscription for making calls from Skype to telephones.  In the question you just posed, your son in Afghanistan calling the US from a mobile phone, a Skype subscription for that situation would not help any of you.  An Online Number on your Skype account would allow you to receive those calls from him, but you could do that right now with a landline and/or mobile phone you already have for no additional cost. 
---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 562
Message 4 of 4 (170 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling