By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Changing voicemail greeting?

Novel Adventurer

@Karloskelly, I'm using a Mac and downloaded the version for Mac that preceeded the Windows version you mentioned.  Where is it in the Windows version that you can set up a voicemail greeting?
Casual Adventurer

Hi there, I did the same thing and got MagicJack (which has its advantages and disadvantages compared to Skype).  Undoubtedly the biggest advantage in our cases is the customized personal greeting (which I have no idea why Skype would get rid of).  My question to you is, instead of forwarding Skype calls to your MagicJack number, why not just have your Skype number ported into MagicJack?  That's what I did (there was a one time $20 fee for this transfer).  After doing this, I don't really see a reason for even using Skype any more (since the MagicJack includes both incoming and outgoing calls, and it's about half the price).  It's such a shame since I've had the Skype account for about 10 years and this is what did it in for me.

Casual Adventurer

Under tools - options - calls.

Casual Adventurer

CindyChabot, you won't be able to set up a customized personal greeting any more.  The newest versions of Skype don't have the ability to do that any more.  In my case, I was able to keep a personalized greeting by using an old version of Skype on my pc and I never updated it (even though I was continuously asked to update it).  This worked for me for a long time and kept my personal greeting.  However, as of a few days ago, Skype will not let me use that older version any more.  March 1, 2017 was Skype's last date to support older versions.  So now I need to update to the latest version of Skype in order to log in and we now know that version does not have the option to set up a personalized greeting. 

I wrote in my previous post that this made me change to MagicJack and it's a shame because I had my Skype account for about 10 years.

Casual Adventurer

Odd, because my older version is still functioning fine up to this moment.

Casual Adventurer

I got an email from Skype saying March 1, 2017 was the last date to support earlier versions.  It didn't happen for me right away.  I checked on that date and it was still working.  It was only today that I noticed I couldn't log in any more using the older version.  Maybe they're discontinuing it in phases and so it could take longer for other geographic areas.

Here's one interesting note though.  I noticed that the personalized voicemail greeting that I had left before is still being used despite the discontinuation of the older version.  Maybe it's just a matter of time before that gets erased too...

Novel Adventurer

I have been on Skype for years now.    Very grateful for service and cost.   Please advise on voicemail message.   I need this for friends and business customers.   This has to be fixed or need alternative recommendations asap.

Casual Adventurer

leroyg wrote:

I have been on Skype for years now.    Very grateful for service and cost.   Please advise on voicemail message.   I need this for friends and business customers.   This has to be fixed or need alternative recommendations asap.

"Very grateful for service and cost"?  I'm not sure you will feel the same after you take a look at some alternatives.  For the Skype-In number, I was paying $30 a year .  For the Skype-Out (to make outgoing calls to US & Canada), I was paying $29.50 a year (so a total of about $60 a year).  With MagicJack, I get both of those services (using my same Skype number that was ported in) plus text messaging for a total of about $35 a year (and that price has been consistent for at least seven years).  If you choose to get their standalone app only (which has all of the above but just on your mobile device), it's just $10 a year.  And most importantly, MagicJack has the personalized voicemail greeting that Skype just got rid of.  For MagicJack I'm speaking from personal experience but I've read others who say Google Voice is similar but it's free.

So if Skype did return the personalized voicemail greetings some time in the future, I'm not sure I would return just because of the significant price differences.  I would not have been aware of these price differences had Skype not removed the personalized greetings.  I would have remained in the dark and kept paying double the price.  So whichever Skype exec decided to remove the personalized greetings, I would say to him/her that was a big mistake!

Highlighted
Novel Tourist

OMG in this "day and age" and with all the bandwidth and technical know how! I can't believe that Skype have removed this function to be able to set our own call greetings.  I think it might be time to take my money somewhere else! 

Skype I look forward to getting my "slate and stone" delivered by a flock of pigeons! 

Novel Tourist

This is terrible! I also use this as I have a USA and Australia biz and when I am not in the USA I use this number to go to my business voicemail. I had no idea they stopped it. I will find another service now. Thanks for calling attention to this poor decision on Skype's side.

Discussion Stats