By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Unknown Contact Request

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Adventurer

I recently received a new "Contact Request" from a name unknown to me and which I was not expecting.

I checked the profile which provided no additional relevant information.

Is there any danger, either directly or indirectly (getting on Spam lists, etc.) of accepting such a request? Is this a frequest occurance on Skype?

Thank you in advance, Frank

Message 1 of 3 (9,370 Views)
2 Replies
Power User

please check the suggestions mentioned here;

How to Handle Unwanted Contact Requests

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Message 2 of 3 (9,369 Views)
Novel Tourist

Actually that link (how to blocking spammers / scammers) is fine if you are sure that's what they are, but doesn't address the original poster's question (which I'd also like to know) - Aside from the potential of the contact talking you into sending them money or whatever, is there any possible danger in accepting a contact request from an unknown person?

If your skype details are published on say your website, blog or email signature, then it's entirely possible someone you don't recognise might legitimately want to contact you.  Since the default setup is to not allow messages from people not on your contact list, the only way to find out the intention of the other party for sure is to accept the contact request and talk to them.

So if I do that, can that person access anything they couldn't previously or do anything else untoward?

Regards

Quentin.

Message 3 of 3 (3,196 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation