By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Skype "called" me regarding protection alert.

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Tourist

My skype "rang" like one of my contacts calling me and then gave me this audio message:  "Attention, automated protection alert.  Your computer protection service is not active.  Immediately go to [invalid URL] to reactivate computer protection and perform full system diagnostics and repair."  IS THIS SOMEONE TRYING TO GET TO MY COMPUTER?  I have my own computer protection, not Skype protection.  I'd like to check on this AND let the Skype techies know where they can go to get this person if they are trying to hatch a virus or steal info from people's computers. 

7 Replies
Novel Tourist

I had the same thing happen. Please let me know what you find out...

Message 2 of 8 (2,657 Views)
Novel Tourist

Me Too.  What is that?

Message 3 of 8 (2,654 Views)
Super Adventurer

please visit the thread below for instructions and suggestions on how to deal with such unwanted and suspicious activities;

How to Handle Suspicious Calls, Messages and Contact Requests (Scam/Spam)

Message 4 of 8 (2,619 Views)
Novel Adventurer

I have had the same problem and keep blocking it and still it keeps coming back would be interested what this is about as we have our own protection as well

Message 5 of 8 (2,602 Views)
Super Adventurer

blocking alone would not stop these calls as these scammers usually use multiple accounts.

Message 6 of 8 (2,588 Views)

Did Skype call?

Message 7 of 8 (912 Views)
Staff Moderator

marthaswarner wrote:

Did Skype call?

We NEVER call customers. This is a well known SCAM attempt

I recommend that you always run the latest Skype version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
Message 8 of 8 (909 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation