By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Scammer

SOLVED
Go to Solution
This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Casual Adventurer

Be on the look out for people using the identity of U.S. Military Officers to try to scam lonely women out of their money. I got a contact request from a General Martins Dempsey. I was curious about why a U.S. Army General would want to contact me. It turned out to be an imposter trying to get money. I didn't fall for it, but some other woman might. Beware of military officers contacting you. I was contacted by two military officers. I blocked the first one, but played along with the second one for a while. He even sent me a number to call to get his step son out of Ghana by of course sending money. It turns out there is a real General Martins Dempsey, but this guy is just using his identity and picture. He actually called me and did not have an American accent, which an American General would have. They must think American women are really stupid.

Message 1 of 16 (9,168 Views)
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Staff Moderator
Solution
Accepted as a solution by jlm1354
‎28-08-2015 11:00

TO ALL

At your client window please visit: Tools> Options> Privacy> Allow Calls/IMs from people in my Contact List ONLY> SAVE

TIME ZONE - US EASTERN. LOCATION - PHILADELPHIA, PA, USA.

I recommend that you always run the latest Skype version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 16 (2,411 Views)
15 Replies
Power User

thanks for sharing.  basically I think majority of users are already aware of this scam or can immediately realize that such suspicious approach is a scam.  Unfortunately, there are still a few users who fall for such fraud.  You can also report the username of the caller/user to abuse@skype.net.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Message 2 of 16 (9,153 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Have just seen on Skype someone. He has 25 or more contact names on Skype and needs to be reported Why do you need all these names. My Sister in Law is inundated with requests from him and promises of  marriage etc.

Sister is gullable aned can't see the danger.

Message 3 of 16 (9,137 Views)
Highlighted
Power User

olcote509 wrote:

Have just seen on Skype someone. He has 25 or more contact names on Skype and needs to be reported Why do you need all these names. My Sister in Law is inundated with requests from him and promises of  marriage etc.

Sister is gullable aned can't see the danger.

I think you just need to provide Skype as much details available on hand, not necessarily all the relevant usernames of that suspicious users.  Then Skype will most likely investigate the accounts in questions, as well as the others which they think that are related to those suspicious accounts.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES

Message 4 of 16 (9,133 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Why cant this scammer be blocked by Skype?

He has at least 43 accounts with Skype using a variation in his account or user names.

He is a general nuisance....

olcote509

Message 5 of 16 (9,126 Views)
Novel Adventurer
I actually have 3 other officers requests for contact. Same **bleep** I suspect.
Message 6 of 16 (9,096 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Thank you for the posts about scammers.  Finally I realize why I keep getting contact requests from military officers, generals etc.  Luckily, I've never fallen for it.  The trouble is, now I seem to be getting more every day. Just found SIX contact requests.  Can anyone tell me what else I can do apart from clicking on the 'block' and 'report abuse' buttons?  It's very disconcerting.

Message 7 of 16 (9,085 Views)
Novel Adventurer

This scammer is in contact with my sister in law in the Philippines.

I have told her to  block him and not to encourage him.

He told her he wants to marry her and offered to send her $200.000 to let bher buy a house for them.

He has not shown his face on skype and refuses to talk face to face with my sister in law.

I wrote to him explaining who I was and asked him how he could trust someone he has not met or seen to have $200.000 of his to purchase a house. 

He just said that he loved her and does not even know how she looks. They just chatted.

When I chatted with him he asked who I was and when I told him he said I do not know you and told me to get lost.

Message 8 of 16 (9,073 Views)
Novel Adventurer

How can we stop the endless flow of these awful people? , any suggestions anyone?

Message 9 of 16 (2,899 Views)
Power User

block them and report them to Skype.  

Message 10 of 16 (2,893 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 19 kudos
  • 10 in conversation