By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Skype Community has moved

You can find the new Skype Community here. For more information please read this post.

Link to "baidu" website sent to all of my contacts.

Casual Adventurer

rrvb wrote:

I haven't read all 44 pages of this thread, but my skype account sent messages out the day before yesterday.  I usually have skype running 24/7 on my computer and I had just closed it completely that night because I needed to run a backup and didn't want anything running.  The next day, when I logged into skype, skype made me verify my account by asking for my email and then sending a code to my email which I had to enter into skype, followed by a mandatory password change.  

After I did that, I noticed skype had sent a baidu.com link to quite a few of my contacts, but not all.  Those messages appear to be sent out just after I had shut down skype completely.  And, here's something I don't believe I saw mentioned in the parts of this thread I did read, skype sent this message to a handful of people that weren't skype contacts and it said something about them being an address book contact.  I do not have an address book on my computer.  So, that makes me believe that skype, which has access to my address book on my phone, somehow added that information to skype contacts. Although, I don't see them in my skype contacts on my phone or my computer.  And I have the setting in skype on my phone to not use my address book to add people to my skype contacts, but apparently that doesn't keep skype from accessing it.

Interesting information.  It seems like the only thing we are not sure of is who the spam is sent to.  Address book contacts could be contacts you have manually added to Skype.  I've personally added a lot of telephone numbers in the past, and some of those contacts may also have other information.  If you have linked your microsoft account, it could certainly have more information or be referring to contacts pulled over from that account.  I feel like there is inside information at play here.  It's as if somebody hacked the skype server and got a full list of contacts for each user (or there is a way for them to spoof a broadcast message to all contacts for a given user.)  As soon as they find out your account is active, they start spoofing messages from it.  Some people have said they are sending spam without first clicking on the baidu link that confirms your account.  I think the truth will rear its head soon, once we put all the pieces together.  Skype/Microsoft is giving us ample time to figure it out.  We can thank them for that!

Flag for a Moderator
Message 441 of 679
Routine Adventurer

It definitely sent Skype messages out to contacts I've NEVER EVER had in Skype. I have a VERY limited skype contact list, and use it for only a handful of people.

The message in Skype says they are an 'address book contact' but doesn't indicate WHAT address book. I don't use Outlook on this computer (or any, for that matter) but have in the past briefly for a job.  Here's a screenshot of Skype person that was sent a baidu link from me at 2am.

2016-11-17_15-22-40.jpg

Flag for a Moderator
Message 442 of 679
Casual Adventurer

I'm currently chatting with a Skype representative as I'm having the same issue. They are saying this is a virus within Skype itself called Ramnit, so NOT your computer. Quote "It is a virus on the main frame work in Skype, therefore, you will be affected regardless if your computer does not have any viruses. It's an ongoing issue here and we are still fixing it."

Sorry if this has already been posted.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 443 of 679
Casual Adventurer

march560 wrote:

I'm currently chatting with a Skype representative as I'm having the same issue. They are saying this is a virus within Skype itself called Ramnit, so NOT your computer. Quote "It is a virus on the main frame work in Skype, therefore, you will be affected regardless if your computer does not have any viruses. It's an ongoing issue here and we are still fixing it."

Sorry if this has already been posted.

How did you get ahold of a Skype representative?  Was it livechat or by voice?  I actually haven't been able to find a way to do live chat or voice.   

Maybe the reason they are fixing this problem so slowly is the lack of mainframe programmers around to fix it.  Time for some COBOL programmers to come out of retirement!  

Flag for a Moderator
Message 444 of 679
Casual Adventurer
Live chat. I'll post the instructions I received for removing it.
Flag for a Moderator
Message 445 of 679
Casual Tourist

+2 My skype account sent baidu.com links to all my contacts twice.

Very annoying. 

SKYPE please do something about it, I have paid for the services, don't expect this to happen.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 446 of 679
Highlighted
Casual Adventurer

*DON'T FOLLOW OR DO ANY OF THESE STEPS WITHOUT FURTHER CLARIFICATION FROM SKYPE*

Here's a paste of the removal instructions I received from the online chat:

1. Login to Skype application. Go to Tools > Option > Advance Settings > Click Manage other programs' access to skype. Remove any UNKNOWN application (if any)
2. Sign out Skype. Quit Skype. Click windows key + R type %temp% delete Skype folder
3. In run, typ %appdata% delete shared.xml look for your Skype name, delete config.xml
4. Run anti-virus scan: Microsoft Safety Scanner: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=215204
5. Delete UNKNOWN Entry from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
6. Delete all UNKNOWN files under %appdata%\Roaming. Make sure that you can see hidden files.
7. Change password

Looks legit to me but I'm not an expert. Maybe someone else can also confirm this by also contacting Skype.

I reached the live chat through this link: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1170/how-do-i-contact-skype-customer-service

Full paste of chat also included.

xxxxxx

[Edited to comply with the Skype Community Guidelines. Thank you for your support to keep
this community a place of constructive and focused discussion.]

Flag for a Moderator
Message 447 of 679
Routine Adventurer
No offense march560, but any chance you can get someone 'official' from Skype/MS, or a moderator, to post the fix? I'm just very careful about taking instructions from unvetted folks that require changes to my computer.
Flag for a Moderator
Message 448 of 679
Routine Adventurer
Thanks - sorry for my post after this, it was posted same time as screenshot I guess
Flag for a Moderator
Message 449 of 679
Casual Adventurer

march560 wrote:

I've attached a screenshot in this post of the instructions I received on the live chat on how to remove the "Skype worm" that's causing this.

I'm happy to look at the instructions and gauge any impact.  I don't see any screenshot attached, however.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 450 of 679