By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Information regarding an email waring I recieved today 25 april 2012

SOLVED
Go to Solution
This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Casual Tourist
All, please be aware if you use Skype, you could get a call from "Systems Maintenance" it's a recorded message asking you to go to a web site, because your computer's security has been disabled!! It's a CON they will lock your computer and charge you to unlock!! I have placed a block and notified Skype.

I received the message as shown above in magenta from a friend today and immediately did what I always do when i get these type of messages, I Googled it to very the validity of the message, unfortunately I couldn't find any reference to a scam of the nature mentioned in the warning nor could I find anything debunking the claims, my question is is this email for real or not.

Please don't tell me the usual common sense things like I should never open these type of files or give out my password, I know this and constantly advise friends and acquaintances of the same, however I would like to know if this is a genuine claim or not so I can forward the email with the correct advice i.e. if it is true follow the advice in the email if not DON'T forward the email to 20,000 people..

Any information is appreciated Cosmic Rhapsody
Message 1 of 4 (939 Views)
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Former Ambassador
Solution
Accepted as a solution by cosmic_rhapsody
‎28-08-2015 11:00

That's a Cosmic scam/spam/phishing message. 

I suggest your friend change their privacy settings to allow calls and allow IMs from people on my Contact list only.

That should stop that kind of junk from getting through.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4 (964 Views)
Community Manager
Solution
The warning makes sense, but it'S not worth forwarding this message as it then just turns spam itself.
Here's how you should deal *if* you indeed receive one of those spam *calls*: http://community.skype.com/t5/Security-Privacy-Trust-and/How-to-Handle-Suspicious-Calls-Messages-and...

Found a helpful message? Give it a Kudo below to say "thanks" ¦ Latest Community News
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4 (957 Views)
3 Replies
Former Ambassador
Solution

That's a Cosmic scam/spam/phishing message. 

I suggest your friend change their privacy settings to allow calls and allow IMs from people on my Contact list only.

That should stop that kind of junk from getting through.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
Message 2 of 4 (965 Views)
Community Manager
Solution
The warning makes sense, but it'S not worth forwarding this message as it then just turns spam itself.
Here's how you should deal *if* you indeed receive one of those spam *calls*: http://community.skype.com/t5/Security-Privacy-Trust-and/How-to-Handle-Suspicious-Calls-Messages-and...

Found a helpful message? Give it a Kudo below to say "thanks" ¦ Latest Community News
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Message 3 of 4 (958 Views)
Novel Tourist

can not recieved calls

Message 4 of 4 (404 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation