By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

How to stay invisible? Can I make it a permanent setting?

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Adventurer

It seems like I need to keep setting myself to invisible. But that is not useful since it lets people see that I am online as I sign on. I would like to sign on as invisible and remain that way. Is there a way to do this?

Message 1 of 11 (31,023 Views)
10 Replies
Power User

when you select the invisible status, other users will see you as offline.  though there may be ways to check if a user is really offline or just in invisible status, it will be up to the users themselves to train their contacts on how respect the possible reasons a user chose to be in invisible status.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Message 2 of 11 (31,020 Views)

carrielee2112 wrote:

It seems like I need to keep setting myself to invisible. But that is not useful since it lets people see that I am online as I sign on. I would like to sign on as invisible and remain that way. Is there a way to do this?

Also, please see this for what each status means and does: https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA3501/What-is-a-status-setting-and-how-do-I-change-it

About Me You can also use a IP Camera as your camera for Skype video Example Instructions
Message 3 of 11 (31,018 Views)
Novel Adventurer

I just set my online status to invisible and it has stayed that way. I have skype set to automatically open when I turn on computer and it automatically makes me invisible.

Message 4 of 11 (30,998 Views)

tiaria57 wrote:

I just set my online status to invisible and it has stayed that way. I have skype set to automatically open when I turn on computer and it automatically makes me invisible.

Yes your last status will be used next time.

About Me You can also use a IP Camera as your camera for Skype video Example Instructions
Message 5 of 11 (30,995 Views)
Power User

just to add up, if you login as invisible at sign on, i think your contacts will not be seeing any notifications that you just login ( at least based from my own tests).

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Message 6 of 11 (30,992 Views)
Novel Tourist
I also have this problem - I keep going "Invisible", but Skype sets me to "Online" automatically on restart, and also sometimes just randomly while logged in. Also I keep telling Skype to not start up automatically, but something always sets it to start up automatically. I now have a startup script using SysInternals "pskill" that waits for Skype to start and immediately kills it!
Message 7 of 11 (29,340 Views)
Novel Adventurer
nonsense! im not on skype to train contacts...
this is driving people crazy, with everyone i talk they keep saying the same thing.
Message 8 of 11 (27,126 Views)

Pall_Mall,

As you have revived an otherwise older thread, please post back with explicit details:

• What is the series of events in which this occurs?  What steps have you performed in the Client software to enable invisible status?
  • What version of the Skype software you are using and on what platform (computer as in Windows, iOS, etc. or mobile as in Android, iOS, etc.)
  • Confirm you are or are not signed on to Skype multiple times such as on your computer and a mobile device.  If you are signed on more than once, please detail on which computer and device(s).
  • Please provide any other pertinent details which may assist in unraveling this mystery and resolving.  Reminder, please do not post personally identifiable information here as this is a public Community.

Thank you,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!
Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety
Message 9 of 11 (27,116 Views)
Casual Adventurer

See this post:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-8-from-Windows-Store/Skype-changes-status-from-quot-Invisible-...

Quote:

Tools > Options > Notifications > Alerts & Messages. Untick "Promotions".

Message 10 of 11 (25,085 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 8 in conversation