Another contact-request scam (???)

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Another contact-request scam (???)

This is the contact-request message I received followed by the “chat” I had with what I am assuming was a bot:

----------

sandra.hamiltonvlq

“Hi, I was checking ppl near me and i came across your page and you seemed worth talking to :bigsmile:

(ME): Uhm...how did you check for people "near" you when Skype does not give you the option to search for users based on location???

[12:50:28 AM]

sandra.hamiltonvlq: k, well, I  have to go .  ... Hmm..  would you like to check out my profile and pics..?

[12:50:42 AM]

sandra.hamiltonvlq: check it out: http://www.date-arcade.com/?id=6589&profile=talinm

[12:50:57 AM]

sandra.hamiltonvlq: search for me as talinm.

----------

The profile originally had a picture of a girl, but the picture disappeared when I sent the instant message.  I blocked and reported the account when the bot responded.  Has anyone else received a message from that account or instructions to go to that site?  Is this a well-known scam like the others (such as Friendjungle) to get credit-card information?

Johann1347
Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 3 (1,434 Views)

Re: Another contact-request scam (???)

most likely it is a scam, or at least an annoying strategy to promote that particular site.  you indeed made the correct action of blocking the user and reporting them to skype.  you can also set your privacy settings to allow messages (and calls) from people in your contact list only, to avoid receiving such unwanted communications in the future.

VooDooDoll
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 256
Message 2 of 3 (1,422 Views)

Re: Another contact-request scam (???)

Ive had the exact same message myself from two different usernames. Just block them and move on :(y):

phoenixrising9
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 3 (1,403 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling