By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

windows 8 skype webcam not working?

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Just bought a brand new sony vaio laptop with windows 8 and I am trying to use skype.  I can use the instant messaging part and when I try a video call I can see my friends video and hear them but they can only hear but not see me, any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Message 1 of 20 (19,742 Views)
19 Replies
Novel Tourist

Same problem please someone help

Message 2 of 20 (19,552 Views)
Staff Moderator
Community Manager
Did you check for updated webcam drivers from Sony? Please check their support ressources for details on that: http ://

Found a helpful message? Give it a Kudo below to say "thanks" ¦ Latest Community News
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Message 4 of 20 (19,377 Views)
Novel Adventurer

I installed an earlier version of Skype and now my webcam works fine. Might be a solution until the Windows 8 version of Skype is sorted

Message 5 of 20 (19,154 Views)
Novel Tourist

Can you please advise which version you downloaded

Message 6 of 20 (19,113 Views)
Novel Adventurer

My version says 

Message 7 of 20 (19,110 Views)
Casual Adventurer
its a problem with your display adapter , u need to change the drivers . I guess your are running and radeon hd series
Message 8 of 20 (17,893 Views)
Casual Adventurer
I has the same problem , Microsoft blamed sony , sony blamed Microsoft ( Microsoft was better considering the support staff tried for hour on remote desktop to toubleshoot it )I worked it out on my own and its working now . it was a problem with the display drivers .
Message 9 of 20 (17,891 Views)
Casual Adventurer
please let me know the display drivers as well as the display adapter
Message 10 of 20 (17,884 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 11 in conversation