By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

skype won't open in windows 8

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Tourist

I bought a new asus laptop with windows 8. I downloaded the Skype app from the Windows store and it appears on my desktop. But when I try to open it a blue screen appears and I get an error saying "we couldn't reach skype" ... "sometimes the internet is a bit sleepy... TRY AGAIN". No matter how many times I try again, or remove and reload it, the same error.

Note: everything else works and skype is fine on my Windows 7 desktop and same internet connection.

Please help.

Message 1 of 7 (6,647 Views)
6 Replies
Novel Adventurer

I have the exact same problem - I urgently need Skype for work as need to call internationally. 

Any fix would be hugely appreciated!  And bring out a desktop version for Windows 8 please! Don't force us to use the app store when it's clearly not ready! 

(Info about my case:  App store says I already have it. When I click on it from the Windows 8 start page Skype will not open, tells me "We couldn't reach Skype" when I click on the app, and tells me that the internet is "sleepy" and offers to "try again" which does nothing). 

Thanks all 

Message 2 of 7 (6,623 Views)
Novel Tourist

I have the exact same problem on my new lenovo gaming laptop. Anyone know if there is a fix? Great job microsoft!

Message 3 of 7 (6,508 Views)
Novel Tourist
Same Problem.. when i try from skype website download latest ver. sometime hang and cut the call. please give some solution...
Message 4 of 7 (6,347 Views)
Novel Tourist

MMHMMMMM.......when i go to the right side of my screen, click the start button, scroll over, click on the skype app...It stays on the blue screen for about 3 seconds then goes right back to where i was before i clicked the skype app.

Message 5 of 7 (5,006 Views)
Novel Tourist
Mine won't download it's taking forever and not showing up on the downloads and updates thing. I have it on my iPad and Phone but if I loose them! Why won't it download on my ASUS Windows 8 laptop?
Message 6 of 7 (3,798 Views)
Community Ambassador

You can try instead to install the desktop version.

The currently latest Skype 6.13.0.104 desktop version can be installed using this msi-installer:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.13.0.104.msi

Message 7 of 7 (3,770 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation