By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

add skype to task bar in windows 8

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Tourist

I have skype in my start menu but can't figure out how to put a short cut in the task bar in windows 8

Message 1 of 14 (35,901 Views)
13 Replies
Super Aviator

You can create a new desktop shortcut for Modern Skype.

Try This.

Right click on the desktop >> create a new shortcut

Type: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "" "skype:"

Click Next

Type: ModernSkype in Type a Name for this shortcut field.

Then Click Finish.

You now have a shortcut to Skype apps.

You can create an icon for this shortcut.

Log on to ICO converter

Cick Choose File and search for .png in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SkypeApp_1.3.0.112_x86__kzf8qxf38zg5c\images\s_logo_30x30.png

Then Click Convert. New icon will be downloaded.

Now Right click on ModernSkype desktop shortcut  and click Propeties then Click Change Icon and locate the downloaded icon file, Click OK.

Now drag the icon to the taskbar and it should be pinned.

Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Message 2 of 14 (35,895 Views)
Novel Adventurer

I'm 76 years of age and there must be an easier way that this to put a Skype icon on the taskbar or desktop.

Message 3 of 14 (33,655 Views)
Novel Adventurer
the ICO converter will not accept a cut/paste of your C:windowsapp/microsoft address for linking to the skype icon. also, I can't find windows on my computer. please advise. thanks for your help!
Message 4 of 14 (31,572 Views)

I am 79 years of age and i agree with you..ridiculous how difficult to create a skype shortcut!!!

Message 5 of 14 (29,677 Views)
Novel Adventurer

The solution that worked for me was to go to the Skype homepage, or better, and instead of clicking on the green button that says Get Skype for Windows 8, I looked below at the other versions, specifically Windows Desktop. I clicked on the Learn More link and then saw another green button, but this one said Get Skype for Windows Desktop. I downloaded that package, installed it and walked thru the setup wizard which then opened Skype for me in the familiar fashion. Once it was open, I could then click on the icon on the taskbar and select Pin to Taskbar!

Wow! Just, wow!

Message 6 of 14 (29,666 Views)
Novel Adventurer This is the page you want to download Skype for Desktop.
Message 7 of 14 (29,665 Views)
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 14 (29,664 Views)
Novel Adventurer

thanks for the tip. It saved lots of my lifetime. I like to see the Skypa status and calls missed in the task bar as before, and sometimes I do think Microsoft people are not aware that not every change is to teh better. Your tip woked easy and fast.

Message 9 of 14 (28,191 Views)
Novel Tourist

I agree with you all folks. Thaks for the solution. Very easy and this way I was able to use the programa as always.

Message 10 of 14 (24,767 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 26 kudos
  • 12 in conversation