By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Windows 8 and skype and microphone don't work?

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Casual Tourist

My microphone doesn't work anymore. Computer says that microphone is working and OK but it isn't working. Video, and loudspeaker are ok.

Message 1 of 25 (38,848 Views)
24 Replies
Novel Adventurer

Same problem here. Mic works with Windows 8 Sound Recorder and Skype appears to recognize the device (Logitech Quickcam 3000), but the volume bar doesn't move and the Skype sound test failed to record any voice. Looks like a Skype problem? 

Message 2 of 25 (38,815 Views)
Novel Adventurer
Yep, same here. Just updated to Windows 8 from Vista. Worked OK with Skype on Vista!
Message 3 of 25 (37,114 Views)
Novel Adventurer
so how did u fix it??
Message 4 of 25 (36,618 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Loaded an earlier version of Skype ( and selected High def audio device (7). Works well but now I can't yet get rid of the newer version of Skype! (I'll sort that out eventually)

Message 5 of 25 (36,616 Views)
Casual Tourist

In my case I found it is a Windows 8 problem and not Skype.

Windows 8 recognize the Mic (Realtek High Definition Audio) and show is as a "Recording Device" on the "Sound" control panel.

It even shows the bar moving when you talk to the mic, but it does not records anything in "Skype" or "Sound Recoder".

I don't have the solution yet.

Message 6 of 25 (36,138 Views)
Novel Tourist

Go to settings, permissions and then there is a slider that lets you allow skype to use your mic and webcam.

Message 7 of 25 (35,433 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Thanks! That worked!

Message 8 of 25 (31,447 Views)
Novel Tourist

Mine already allows it and it still doesn't work- what should I do now?

Message 9 of 25 (30,519 Views)
Casual Tourist

forgive me for asking such a foolish question:

it the SETTINGS that you speak of  in skype or in my browser or in win 8?
I have looked all over in skype, did not see it.

please help

Message 10 of 25 (30,480 Views)
Discussion Stats