By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Video not working on Windows 8 Surface RT

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Tourist

I have attempted to Skype with a friend via my Surface RT Windows 8.  We connect and can hear each other but no video.  Every time I press the video start button, it flashes on momentarily and then goes off.   This is not a problem on my Windows 7 laptop.

Message 1 of 24 (3,601 Views)
23 Replies
Former Staff

Hi,

Can you please make sure that both you and your Skype friend have the latest Skype version. Your issue seems to be caused by one of you having an outdated Skype version.

Which Skype version are you using?
Which Skype version and platform (Mac, iOS, Windows...) is your friend using?

Thank you

Message 2 of 24 (3,556 Views)
Casual Adventurer

In my case, surface rt, skype ver 1.8.0.110, target hears me, no video, i see him but no audio

Message 3 of 24 (3,190 Views)
Former Staff

Which platform (Windows, Mac, Android...) and version of Skype is the other side using?

Message 4 of 24 (3,173 Views)
Casual Adventurer

The other side is using Windows 8, skype version 6.6.73.106.  Also, I have tried to upgrade my Skype on the RT and there seems to be no way to do it and no nice message that says 'there is no upgrade for your system'.

Message 5 of 24 (3,159 Views)
Former Staff

But you can see yourself, right? 
Are you using front or back camera? Does it happen on both cameras?

Message 6 of 24 (3,153 Views)
Casual Adventurer

I see myself and am usiing the front camera.  If I switch to rear camera, the other side sees a flick from black to my still picture then in 1/2 second back to black.(I see my back picture).  Same scenario when I switch back to front camera.(flick from black to flash of my portrait then back to black)

Message 7 of 24 (3,145 Views)
Casual Adventurer

Additional information:  Yahoo works as it should on another computer.  No camera or audio problems.  Skype on this other computer gives the identical symptoms as on the RT.

Message 8 of 24 (3,140 Views)
Casual Adventurer

more additional information .... this problem only happens when communicating with a windows 8 system.  The RT works when communicating with other Operating Systems including windows 7.

Message 9 of 24 (3,132 Views)
Former Staff

Do you have problems if you only use fron tcamera without switching to back?

Message 10 of 24 (3,118 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 9 in conversation