By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Old Skype not working on Windows 8

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Tourist

I am not satisfied with the new Skype. Therefore, I would like to install the old version of Skype to my Windows 8. Your have provided me with a link: http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/on-your-computer/windows/

Unfortunately, it installs correctly but whenever I try to launch it, it crashes: "Skype has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I've tried to run it in Windows Xp, Windows 7 and Windows 8 mode. Nothing helps.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 5 (704 Views)
4 Replies
Novel Adventurer

I am facing the same issue. I have already trued to reset Skype (desktop version) and reinstall the version from Windows store, but again, I got the same problem.

Can someone help ??

Message 2 of 5 (629 Views)
Super Aviator

Please post event viewer log in your very next reply.

Click Start >> Run >> Type eventvwr.msc /s
Custom Views >> Administrative Events
Look for any error message related to Skype crash.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Message 3 of 5 (601 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Hi Tamim,

I found the following:

- <System>
  <Provider Name="Application Error" />
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
  <Level>2</Level>
  <Task>100</Task>
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-12-19T09:23:43.000000000Z" />
  <EventRecordID>4024</EventRecordID>
  <Channel>Application</Channel>
  <Computer>Carlos</Computer>
  <Security />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>Skype.exe</Data>
  <Data>6.0.0.126</Data>
  <Data>509ce778</Data>
  <Data>unknown</Data>
  <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
  <Data>00000000</Data>
  <Data>c0000005</Data>
  <Data>00000204</Data>
  <Data>1f68</Data>
  <Data>01cdddca73fc23ee</Data>
  <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe</Data>
  <Data>unknown</Data>
  <Data>c7fd163f-49bd-11e2-b37a-844bf5c622c0</Data>
  <Data />
  <Data />
  </EventData>
  </Event>

and also:

Can you help me??

I really need to use skype, almost every single day!

Reagards!

Message 4 of 5 (580 Views)
Super Aviator

Do you have ALL the latest Hardware driver updates?
Can you run Skype in Safe Mode With Networking?

Temporary disable the anti-virus & Do all Windows Updates, including Software and Hardware, not just the Critical Updates. 

Older Version 4.2...Should work. in this case you have to disable automatic updating of Skype.

oldversion.com/windows/skype-4-2-0-169
http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-crashes-after-login/m-p/1114890/highlight/true#M84454

you can also run Speccy and post the info from it (save as text and remove your windows serial no.,compress and attach then)
piriform.com/speccy

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Message 5 of 5 (578 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation