By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Cannot install Skype app for windows 8

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Tourist

I tried to install the skype app for windows 8 on my son's user, but it won't install. I get an error message, saying the app will not install, error code 0x800700b7.

A few days ago I downloaded the skype app on my own account, and encountered no problems.

Any idea what is wrong?

Message 1 of 10 (47,402 Views)
9 Replies
Super Aviator

Try this FixIT

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/microsoftaccounts....

Then, try disabling the Windows Update service.

Press Win + R
Type services.msc /s
Look for Windows Update service and Double click on it and in the Startup type box select Disabled. Click Apply and OK.

Go to the Windows folder and rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder to "OldSoftwareDistribution"

Now try enabling the Windows Update service in Windows services.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Message 2 of 10 (47,391 Views)
Novel Tourist

I have the same problem with my wife's account. Microsoft or Skype need to fix this.

Message 3 of 10 (47,123 Views)
Casual Tourist

i tried this fix but am unable to rename the folder as it says it is in use.  i've tried using task mrg to shut everything off and it still says in use.  I can't seem to complete the fix without figuring out where or why the folder is in use.  thanks.

Message 4 of 10 (46,837 Views)
Super Aviator

Have you tried to disabling the Windows update service?

temporary disable your antivirus software too.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Message 5 of 10 (46,818 Views)
Novel Tourist

I use the following tool to figure out who is locking the softwaredistribution folder (svchost.exe in my case)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896655.aspx

then i kill this process in the task manager and then i am able to rename the folder.

Message 6 of 10 (46,465 Views)
Super Aviator
Thank you for your feedback.
Regards,
Tamim

Message 7 of 10 (46,444 Views)
Casual Tourist

The message said error 0x800700b7

Message 8 of 10 (40,568 Views)
Super Aviator

flotsang,

Do you have any security software installed on the computer?

Regards,
Tamim

Message 9 of 10 (40,565 Views)
Community Manager
If you have still trouble installing the Skype for Windows 8 app from the Windows store may we ask you to leave a few details about your set up here so we can follow up:
http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-8-from-Windows-Store/Problems-installing-updating-Skype-Check-...
Thanks in advance.

Found a helpful message? Give it a Kudo below to say "thanks" ¦ Latest Community News
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Message 10 of 10 (38,617 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 21 kudos
  • 7 in conversation