By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Camera not working with Windows 8 (another one!)

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Adventurer

Windows 8 Camera app doesn't seem to work, even after granting permissions.  Just get blank screen with "Camera: Connect a camera"

Camera doesn't work at all (no picture whatsoever) on Win 8 Skype but works fine with Desktop Skype.

Done all the settings checks for Win 8 Skype and everything seems fine there.

Computer only about a month old.  Downloaded Win 8 Skype last night.

Webcam is Philips SPC315NC.

Any advice (in words of not much more than one syllable) gratefully received - even if it is just "stick to Desktop Skype".

Message 1 of 5 (2,591 Views)
4 Replies
Novel Adventurer
Hi, one day my computer had the same problem as yours, I finally know what problem it was: graphics driver. I changed a different version of graphics driver and problem solved.
I wish this will help you. Good luck.
Message 2 of 5 (2,579 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Thanks!  I am bit of a computer ignoramus though (at least in terms of what happens inside them).  What's a graphics driver and how do I change it??!

Message 3 of 5 (2,569 Views)
Novel Adventurer

It is easy to upgrade a device driver with driver software. Such as Driver Detevtive from or Driver Wizard from

Message 4 of 5 (2,562 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Thanks - will investigate!

Message 5 of 5 (2,556 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation