What do I do if I don't WANT Skype synched with my...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

What do I do if I don't WANT Skype synched with my Address Book?

As a teacher, I do NOT want the students in my address book to have access to my Skype account. I would like to be able to choose whom I see on my contact list. When I go to delete them from my Skype contact list, I am told I have to delete them from my Mac Address Book, which hardly seems fair. How can I disconnect this feature? I went to preferences but could not find anything related to this. Do I need to uninstall the new Skype? I do not want to contact certain people, nor do I want them to know I am available via Skype. Can anyone help?

Accepted Solution

by mkichaa

Not to worry.  Simply untick "Show Address Book contacts" in Skype's General preferences. 

View solution in original post
mconley
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 4 (3,146 Views)

Re: What do I do if I don't WANT Skype synched with my Address Book?

Not to worry.  Simply untick "Show Address Book contacts" in Skype's General preferences. 

--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
mkichaa
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 254
Message 2 of 4 (3,132 Views)

Thank you. That is a good fix for now. I am curious what could be done to edit one's address book, so that some could be shown on Skype and some not. That would be the ideal choice.
mconley
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 4 (3,129 Views)

[ Edited ]

Skype doesn't actually sync with Address Book.  If you permit it, Skype simply accesses Address Book.  If you wish to maintain the two in isolation from one another, you'll need to enter the ones you want in Skype directly into Skype.  

An aside: if you wish to maintain the privacy of your Address Book (yea, verily, even all your files) to prevent students from accessing it, be certain to select a robust password for your computer--one that's not easily guessed.  Students seem to have an uncanny ability to get where they want to go with technology.

Yup; I'm a recovering educator...  :happy:

--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
mkichaa
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 254
Message 4 of 4 (3,121 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling